chapter 15

' princess of thorns '

━━━━━

It feels almost nostalgic. The smell of the broth, the sound of something sizzling and the satisfied groans rolling off of customer's lips. She remembers it all.

"A bowl of somen, please," she tells Shinomiya who certainly doesn't recognize her. No one would. They all knew Yuko and not Kaede. Maybe she's being stupid again, but she wishes someone was here. Todoroki who liked cold soba and Bakugo with his spicy ramen. "And a bottle of water."

"Sure thing," the woman says and the smile that is reserved for customers is given at her. "If only you'd take the table at your right. Table one, ma'am."

"Thank you," Kaede said. Thank you for caring. "Can I ask you a question?"

"What is it?" There's a careful, calculated smile on her face and Kaede misses Shinomiya's big grins.

Kaede looks around, realizes that no one's still here, because the customer's usually come late at night. "There's a boy," she says and underneath all that obligated politeness Shinomiya pasted onto her face, she sees the furtive Shinomiya who enjoys daily gossip. "He's a regular around here. Has spiky blonde hair. I was just wondering how he's been doing."

That gossip searching expression morphs to that of a placid, sullen face the moment Shinomiya realizes who she's talking about. "Oh," and that oh reveals a hidden meaning. "That boy. He's stopped coming. Maybe the food just lost its magic for him."

She's intentionally omitting facts, Kaede could tell, because people usually did it around her, but she knows she won't get anything from the woman so she merely gives her that smile and heads back to the table, awaiting her order.

Kaede should have arrived later, she thought as her eyes scanned the place. At this rate, she wouldn't find that person. She also heard from another source at the academy that they entered a dorm system, so he might not arrive. Also, she'd have to be patient enough to wait until ten in the evening.

Kaede hoped that sweatpants wouldn't get in the way of this mission. It was really comfortable, so she figured she'd be at her best while fighting.

The bowl of somen appeared after five minutes and twenty-one seconds and other customers had begun occupying tables. Kaede turned to the wall clock at the corner of the Noodle House, the short hand pointing at eight and the long hand at twenty.

Slurping the noodles quietly, Kaede- as inconspicuously as she could- watched the people entering the shop, all different faces and clothing and when she emptied the bowl of somen, the time had turned to quarter to nine and releasing a sigh, she stood up, and left.

At least that was what the onlookers were going to say when in truth, she only stopped in one of the nearby convenience stores, bought a cup of coffee and chocolate flavored biscuits.

She stood in the shadows, in anticipation of the boy to come and she saw him, bicoloured eyes, the smallest of frowns gracing his features and she took the knife out.

Kaede ran towards him, knife in hand and she's ready to slice his cheek, but a wall of ice separates them and she sees those eyes squint at her, but she cuts it off even she jumps over the wall and attempt to slice him only for it to be evaded.

Another slice and he ignites his left side with fire, tries to hit her with it, but she dodges just as easily and Kaede thinks that this might be illegal (what Shouto's doing, because she's sure as hell attempted murder is frowned upon), but she can't help, but continue the attacks.