chapter 18

starless skies

━━━━━

Drowning in the silvery sheen of distant memories that envelop her like a blanket in the cold, Kaede tugged at the threads that connected her to the past and pulled, unraveling the fabric and displaying various images.

Katsuki Bakugou was a boy who could make an empire fall. And he conquered. Conquered his enemies, laid waste to cities and even her heart. Oh the fragile thing it was, beating and broken now, because she couldn't love enemies.

It was three days, ten hours, forty four minutes, two seconds after the pool time with the rest of her peers and that night was one of those cold nights where Todoroki was off with his mother and Kaede had to walk home alone. But there was change, the most miniscule of changes when Katsuki saw her wearing that marled cream white cardigan, tying the shoelaces of her blue tennis shoes and stretching.

She remembers that he asked her, why the fuck are you stretching? and she merely laughed at him, before ceasing the stretch.

She told him that she was already on her way home and that she was in bad need of a stretch and he'd say, you look fucking stupid, but she only shrugged it off in a manner befitting the Yuko-esque style and he growled in obvious annoyance and then told her that he'll take her home, because it'd weigh on my conscience and you're dumb enough to get chased by a dog or something.

Then she'd smile, tell him it was alright this time, because she was going to take a little detour and he'd grit his teeth in annoyance and crumple that handsome face of his.

That bothers me more, she remembered him saying, kicking another pebble off the streets, what if you suddenly get mauled or something then those shitty people will keep on bothering me because I was the last person who saw you.

She looked at him dumbfoundedly that time, blinked three (or was it four?) times and then after an awkward pause burst out laughing. You know, Katsuki, it's amazing what lengths you go through just to cover up the fact that you're concerned, she told him, shook her head and added, but it's really okay this time, it'll be a bother if you escort me to where I'm going.

And then he'd glare at her and Yuko would blink again with those eyes and that dumbfounded expression, then he'd say, more like growl-she inputs- you let that half and half bastard escort you everywhere.

Carnation lips would curl in amusement at the emphasis at everywhere and she'd say that she actually loved Shouto's presence and I'm helping him in a way 'cause he doesn't want to stay at home.

An outraged expression would capture his face then she'd try to shush him, but it's too late, because he had already yelled, so you're saying he's better company, huh, dumbass?! and a decent person would have (even in vain) try to deny it, but Yuko was a girl who wanted the thrill in everything so she would smile and tell him, well if you put it that way, Shouto is kinda better earning a long what? from Katsuki.

I mean he doesn't shout and all, she'd reply and he'd be so outraged that there would minute explosions sparking at his finger tips and she'd sigh realizing that he's probably blow her face off so she'd explain, I'm just going to the playground a couple of blocks away, there's really no need for you to follow me.

What playground? she remembered him asking and Yuko would shake her head with that small smile on her face and tell him that it was the one with the apartment complex nearby and the monkey bars and slides.