chapter 29

' quick missives '

━━━━━

The interrogation of MIZUKI KAEDE taken on [redacted] at The Tokyo Juvenile Detention Facility in Japan. Video transcript time: 3:15 p.m.

Interrogation by: Senior Police Officer Fukunaka Hayashi
Also present: Senior Police Officer Gushiken Anri

FUKUNAKA: Hello, Kaede. My name is Senior Police Officer Fukunaka Hayashi, and this is Senior Police Officer Gushiken Anri. We're here because we received a call stating your surrender and you pledging guilty to charges.

[Silence]

FUKUNAKA: We ask you to be cooperative, can you do that?

KAEDE: . . . Yes.

GUSHIKEN: God, she's unnerving.

FUKUNAKA: Silence. Kaede, do you agree to being questioned in regards to your unconditional surrender?

KAEDE: Yes.

FUKUNAKA: Great. Thank you. Now, if anytime you don't understand what I'm asking you, just inform me and I'll make clarifications, okay?

KAEDE: Okay.

GUSHIKEN: You've been smiling for hours now. Are your smile bones permanently-

FUKUNAKA: Ignore her. Now, you'll notice that there's a video camera in the room here with us. We want to record this both in paper and video. Is that okay with you?

KAEDE: I'm fine with it.

FUKUNAKA: Excellent. Let's start with the basics. What is your full name?

KAEDE: Mizuki Kaede, but I'm legally registered as Moriyama Kaede.

FUKUNAKA: Yes, your parents were interrogated three days ago and we can confirm that. Thank you for being truthful, Kaede.

KAEDE: They were here...?

GUSHIKEN: Pardon?

KAEDE: Nothing.

FUKUNAKA: I'll continue. How old are you?

KAEDE: Fifteen years, eleven months, twenty two days, ten hours and fifty-five minutes.

GUSHIKEN: Eek. That's too accurate.

KAEDE: I'm nothing but.

FUKUNAKA: Yes, thank you. Back to the questioning, where were you born?

KAEDE: In a hospital.

FUKUNAKA: That's not what I'm asking, Kaede.

GUSHIKEN: Well, she's not technically in the wrong.

FUKUNAKA: You promised to be cooperative.

KAEDE: I am. It's annoying how wrong your questions are.

FUKUNAKA: Stop snickering, Anri.

GUSHIKEN: Yes, sorry.

FUKUNAKA: Let me rephrase the question. Where did you grow up?

KAEDE: Yokohama.

FUKUNAKA: With Mizuki Akiko and Mizuki Hiromi, correct?

KAEDE: Moriyama Akiko, they weren't married.