Her Mentor Part 9

The group text thread was so active during Normani's train ride to Parkwood. She, Ally, Dinah Jane, and Lauren all agreed they were long overdue for some girl time. So they made plans to hang out this coming Saturday. Lauren would host a barbecue at her house.

Normani: would it be wrong if I took my boss to a fast food place?

Dinah Jane: LMAO what?!

Ally: Aw Manibear ur taking your boss out?

Normani: yea, I offered to pick the place for lunch but I know she loves Popeyes, sooo

Dinah Jane: you better NOT take your boss to no damn Popeyes lmaoooo, tf

Ally: food is food!

Lauren: I agree w/ Ally. It can't hurt if she loves it. But maybe you should ask her first.

Dinah Jane: i know you on a budget but if you tryna get that promotion take her to a diner or some shit

Ally: what if Mani wants more than a promotion tho? ;)

Normani: LMAO yoooo I'm done with y'all! -.-

Dinah Jane: well popeyes ain't gon make her pop the pussy I can tell you THAT

Lauren: Lmao

Ally: lmaoo

"Oh my God," Normani reacted aloud, looking around the train to see some people looking at her and some paying her no mind. She pocketed her cell phone, feeling both amused and flustered. She collected herself and got off at her stop. Her phone kept going off with notifications from the group chat but she ignored them.

As she walked through the lobby she and Tammy exchanged smiles and good morning's as they did regularly. Then Normani removed her ID pass from the scanner after she heard the beep and proceeded to the side of the elevators that was closest to her floor.

She checked her emails and the Parkwood newsletter, pleased to see that the interview video she did with Keith Powers was trending nicely. The reception was pretty great so far. Normani smiled and watched some of the video again before emailing it to her parents. She knew they would be proud of her.

"Good morning," Princeton's refreshing greeting could be heard.

Normani looked up and saw he was with Tammy and Yara. "Hey, good morning."

"You did such an amazing job with the Keith Powers interview," Yara gushed to Normani. "I have to step my game up."

"Aww, I learned from you," Normani said.

Yara looked at Princeton and Tammy. "She's so sweet, I can't. Why haven't we had lunch yet?"

"We haven't had lunch yet either," said Tammy, referring to herself and Normani.

"We have though," Princeton playfully boasted. "Ain't that right, Normani?"

She laughed. "Yes, but we definitely need to make this happen," she replied, motioning towards Tammy, Yara, and herself.

"Just let me know," Tammy nodded.

"Can we do today?" Yara asked Normani.

Normani made the humming sound that was equivalent to "meh" or "ehh." "I can't today. I'm having lunch Beyoncé."

"Ooooh," they all chorused.

"Oh yeah, you don't want to miss that," Yara said.

"Lunch with boss is always a good thing," Princeton agreed.

"Yes, and I don't even know where I should take her," Normani admitted with a light frown.

"That's the thing about this area, there are so many options," Yara said. "But I get it, you want to pick the right place."