Her Mentor Part 12

When Normani finally arrived at work that Monday morning, she found members of the Parkwood team around her cubicle. But why?

"Um, good morning," she called, gaining their attention. That was when Normani noticed a bouquet of flowers on her desk.

"Special delivery," Princeton said with a smile.

"Those are for me?"

"They're on your desk, aren't they?"

Her colleagues made space for her as she walked to and stood before her desk. She lifted the fresh flowers. She had to admit they were beautiful, but who were they from? Her parents? Beyoncé?

Her lower region throbbed at just the thought of the latter. Would Beyoncé be so bold to gift her flowers in the office?

She popped up at your house, her mind reminded her. And she'd confessed her feelings to Normani. The 23-year-old began to feel nervous only because she didn't want the others to suspect anything. She didn't want them in their business.

"These are really nice," she said to her audience, wishing for them to go away so she could find out who the sender was.

"Aren't you gonna read the note?" Karen, a white woman in her early thirties asked.

"I'll read it later," Normani said, staring at the small white card.

"Honey, we already know who it's from," Tilda, a mature staff member said. Everyone made noises of disapproval and embarrassment at the admission.

Normani raised her brow and looked at all of them, seeing the guilty smiles. "I see."

Princeton laughed. "Sorry, Mani, I couldn't resist. I needed to know who your secret admirer was."

Normani assessed the situation. If their calm reaction was anything to go by she didn't need to worry about the flowers being from Beyoncé.

"Read it!" Yara urged, bouncing on her feet in excitement. The intern picked up the card.

Normani,

Thanks for a great interview last week.

Here's something to show my appreciation.

-Keith (Powers)

555-456-1244

"Wow," Normani said, genuinely surprised.

"I am so jealous! I really should have been there," Yara pouted.

Tilda on the other hand was unamused. "I'd throw those away if I were you."

Everyone except Princeton and Tammy gasped. Those two didn't seem at all shocked by the older woman's words.

"Throw them away? Why?" Normani asked.

"Because he's gonna expect special treatment, this has conflict of interest written all over it," Tilda said. "And you don't want those problems."

"Oh Tilda, I think he was just being sweet. What's the difference between this and a thank-you note?"

"The difference is he left his number," Tilda smirked. "Now you tell me how many people leave you their phone number in thank-you notes."

Princeton looked at Normani and rolled his eyes in amusement.

"Hey, I think it's sweet," Karen told Normani with a shrug as she walked away.

"Call him!" Yara mouthed to Normani before also dispersing from the crowd.