Hills

Love you, mom.
-ss432
______________

I remember how we would go up to the hills.

One foot after another, with intent and purpose.

I remember how the sun hit your beautiful golden hair,

how many times I thought about tripping but everything was too stable.

I can recall how easy it seemed to reach my destination with you by my side.

I'm sure if I went back now, the mountain would seem scary, and I'd think back to a time when it wasn't.

We were alone in the nowhere, two free souls wandering mindlessly through the trees. It was intended that way.

We were designed to march through thick, dense, sweltering heat, to climb the mountain.

We didn't fall down, we took each step lightly as if Mother Earth could wake should we step too hard. And it always seemed so easy with you to be strong.

When new mountains are formed in my life, I'll think of you. I'll think of how your stability emanated through those trees, the fresh dirt, the rocks.

I'll think of the sunshine, and how free I was when I was endless and happiness was more endless yet.

And when I've got nothing left to breathe for, those memories of you will be my breath.

Through some miracle of God, I am here.

All I can hope for is that this life is half what yours is now.

I hope.