I Think That Cheerleader Likes Me

(I stayed up until 4am last night because I got so into writing this. I honestly thought it was gonna be shorter than the first one but it ended up more than 300 words longer. I have 5 other one-shots planned out for this collection but I might come up with more, and 5 for Beyond the Barrier, too~ I'm tempted to try and update everyday instead of every other day but that might be a bit much so we'll see. Anyway, here's how Bonzo got interested in Bree!)

This... is better than I thought...

At first, Bonzo felt a little awkward standing amongst the humans at the pep rally. Addison ran out and he smiled at the familiar face, clapping along with everyone else. Bucky burst through a poster of himself and he started to think maybe this could be interesting. Then he heard a voice louder than anyone else coming from the floor below him.

"Whoo, Addy!"

He craned his neck ever so slightly to see who it was. A girl in a cheer uniform stood in front of the bleachers, waving her pom-poms. He wondered for a moment why she wasn't out on the floor with the rest of the squad, but it didn't really matter. Like Zed would say only a moment later, cheer's contagious. Her wide grin, bouncing ponytail and pure enthusiasm were certainly working wonders. Bonzo couldn't help joining in with a cheer of his own. Who would have known he'd find himself having fun at a pep rally? He brushed off Eliza's snark easily, too busy enjoying himself to care. The cheerleader – the one on her own – kept shouting and hollering, if anything, getting more excited as it went on.

It all came crashing down when he saw those sparks, though.

- ANOTHER GIRL, ANOTHER ZOMBIE -

Things seemed to be looking up the following day. To everyone's surprise, Zed had somehow convinced Principal Lee to let them into the cafeteria with the human students. When the patrol officer opened that door, he was in awe.

The room was buzzing with conversations, bustling with people, with humans, everywhere he looked. Sure, some of them gave them funny looks, but Bonzo hardly noticed. And the first table they passed was the cheer squad's.

He spotted her straight away, the girl from the pep rally, but now she looked much less... peppy. But then again, this wasn't a pep rally. She wasn't exactly going to be bouncing and cheering at lunch. As he walked by her with the rest of the zombies, she dropped her eyes to the tray in front of her but he smiled nonetheless. It was nice to see her, nice to be able to recognise someone (besides Addison) in a sea of strangers. He smiled all the way to the designated zombies' table in the far corner.

It didn't take long for Bonzo to turn to stimming, juggling apples and playing around with the peelings, which made excellent crafting materials for mini sculptures. For a brief few seconds, he forgot about the girl sitting somewhere behind him, until Zed stopped and looked past him.

"Addison!"

The room went quiet. Turning in his seat, Bonzo fully intended to find out how Addison would react, but instead he found himself staring at the girl beside her.

Their eyes met and he felt a jolt, not so much of discomfort, as per usual for him, but of what, he wasn't quite sure. Before, at the rally, he had only really seen her from behind, just her profile at most, and it wasn't much different when he walked in only minutes ago. But now, he could take a good look at her face.

She was pretty. Beautiful, even.

Silky black hair fell from a ribbon-tied ponytail onto her shoulders, a stark contrast to the bright pink and white of her cheer uniform. Her dark skin looked soft to the touch and her eyes were round with concern, maybe even fear, behind her glasses, and he wished he could see those eyes filled with the joy she cheered with the day before.