Sounds Like A Fantasy

(Well, this is the last full one-shot of Another Girl, Another Zombie! The next chapter will be a series of short scenes and drabbles from various times in Bonzo and Bree's relationship, but here's the ending to the main storyline. Bonzo reflecting back on how far they've come~ And stimming with Bree's hair and fingers ^^

I've been fleshing out ideas for that Bronzo AU idea so let's see where that goes. BtB will continue as long as I keep coming up with zombie-related headcanons. And the Big Project will hopefully be coming soon...)

He found it hard to believe, if he was honest. How a big, lumbering zombie like him who didn't even speak English and who had absolutely no sense of personal space had found himself with a girl like Bree. He was practically in awe of her. Her support for Addison, her willingness to accept zombies when he knew how scared she had been at first, her appreciation for his art and his music, her unrivalled pep when she was cheering. Her love. The fact that he had earned her love.

It had been a few months since that day in the park and those months had been filled with zombie mashes and pep rallies, sweet dates alone together and fun double dates with Zed and Addison, squeals from Zoey and eyerolls from Eliza. Facing the zombiephobia still present around much of Seabrook side-by-side and celebrating every little step forward.

There had been a day not so long ago that Bonzo didn't know this girl. That he had no idea she existed, and she had no idea he existed. It was the pep rally at the very start of the school year when they had both caught one another's eye, but if it hadn't been for Zed and Addison paving the way, that could have been as far as they got. Maybe they would have forgotten about each other sooner or later if Zed hadn't saved Addison that day, or if Addison had given in to her cousin and left the zombies alone for good. But everything fell into place and now, he had his greeska.

Between Bonzo and Bree, and Zed and Addison, it was clear that Eliza was stuck somewhere between cooing (in an affectionately mocking way) at how cute they all were and just ripping off her Z-band to finally get them to stop being so sickeningly sweet. But her annoyance would always be met with a smug smile from the boys and the insistence that she'd probably find herself with her own human girlfriend someday. She always denied it.

That became their lunchtime routine. Zed beside Addison, Bonzo beside Bree, Eliza somewhere in between pulling a face while trying to pretend she wasn't smiling at their couple-y antics. And one day, it got him thinking.

Zed planted a short but sweet kiss on Addison's cheek and Eliza rolled her eyes.

"Ugh," she muttered, but they all saw the smile tugging at the corner of her mouth, "Gross."

Zed and Addison both laughed. Bree bit her lip to keep herself from joining them and Bonzo smirked, throwing an arm around her. He cast a quick glance over at Eliza and she shot him a look of "I dare you" back, then he looked back down to Bree.

"Geh, Breeska...?"

"Hm?" she turned around and his lips were suddenly on hers, if only for a second or two. Long enough that Eliza reached across the table and shoved him, unable to keep herself from grinning. Bree, also smiling, and blushing a little, too, lightly smacked his arm.

"Don't tease her."

"Goreez zon?" Why not?

She just shook her head slightly and went back to the conversation she was having with Addison. Bonzo began twirling a lock of her hair around his finger. Bree looked back at him with a small smile for just a moment and he drifted into thought as she turned away again.

He remembered talking to Zed at the block party where he and Bree had their first date.

"Y'know, I already knew I loved her but, man, I think I'm really in love with Addy." Zed had admitted to him.

Bonzo had frowned, curious. "Zama zig, za?" It's the same thing, isn't it?

There wasn't a distinction between the two in Zombie-tongue. There was "garziga" – love – and "ziga" – like – and that was it.

"Not exactly..." He had been staring at her across the street. Bonzo just let him be.

He didn't really get it at the time – how fast Zed had fallen for Addison and how adamant he was about it. Bonzo knew he liked Bree, really liked her, and he knew he could love her. He realised that when they were alone in the light garden together, when they had almost kissed, he realised he was definitely going to fall for this girl. But it felt like it should take more time.

Then he was starting to stare at Bree in the same way Zed stared at Addison, more and more each time he saw her, it seemed.

He was staring at her right now, his left elbow propped up on the table with his chin in his hand, while his right arm lay across Bree's shoulders and his fingers played with her hair. She looked so comfortable nestled into him like that, carrying on her and Addison's conversation. Bonzo was lost in thought, though, his lunch forgotten and all his attention on his girlfriend.

He hadn't expected to say it to her, not as soon as he did. But in the moment, what he was feeling really couldn't be described in any other way. He just loved her – he cared about her, admired her, respected her, appreciated her, and she proved she felt the same way by making the effort to learn Zombie-tongue for him. He had to kiss her, and he had to tell her.

His right hand dipped down to grab hold of hers and as he played with her fingers, she giggled softly. Opposite, Addison smiled at them and leaned a little closer to Zed. They all ignored Eliza's fake gagging. Bonzo tore his eyes away long enough to see the lovestruck look Zed was giving Addison and he wondered if he looked at Bree the same way. He wondered how long he had looked at her that way.

Zed had told him he was in love. At first, Bonzo didn't understand it. How could he be so sure when he was still so young and had only known Addison for a short time?

Slowly, Bonzo laced his fingers together with Bree's and she paused in what she was saying to bring their joined hands to her lips and lightly kiss his knuckles. She tipped her head back, smiling up at him so sweetly, so beautifully, onto his shoulder, far enough back that her nose came to brush against his chin. Bonzo closed his eyes for a few seconds, just enjoying the feeling, then he gently kissed her forehead.

He decided then and there that he understood perfectly.