Not Your Average Guy

(Y'know, I never used to write romance. I even specifically said on at least one occasion that I do not write romance. I did write a couple fics that were related to ships but they weren't really romance stories. What has Bronzo done to me?

If you haven't read the last Beyond the Barrier, I've been coming up with name headcanons for background zombies, I mention one here (Roz) and yes, if you look at both her and Bree, they have switched jackets at the block party. I had noticed Bree and some other humans wearing zombies' jackets but I was thinking Bree might have got it from Bonzo, then I noticed Roz wearing a pink jacket, the same one Bree wore at the cheer championship, so there you have it (Btw all my name headcanons are on my Tumblr so if you want to know who's who, it's listed on my profile~) This one-shot also sort of matches up with the one over on Beyond the Barrier, and there'll be another matching pair coming soon. Now, prepare yourself for Zeddison parallels

I posted this on ff.net at 2am last night, I got so into writing it and by then I was too tired to get it on here as well so here it is a little late...)

They'd taken the first step with the cheer championship.

Even if they hadn't won, humans and zombies had truly come together for the first time and it opened a door – quite literally, too, when the barrier was opened a few weeks later.

As the mayor, Addison's mother had managed to pull a few strings and make a case for the zombies' rights. A lot of the laws and regulations were still in place, but changes were being made here and there, like the fact that zombies could now keep pets, some public spaces in Seabrook were open to them and the curfew wasn't quite so strict as before; they didn't have to stay indoors after dark anymore, but they did have to return to Zombie Town then, and the humans, who were showing up there from time to time, were to leave by sunset.

It was slow, but they were making progress.

That wasn't the only first step taken at the cheer championship, though. Since then, Bonzo and Bree had seen a lot of each other around school. Considering how Zed and Addison's relationship was progressing, it was inevitable, really. With some help with translating from Zed and Eliza, and Addison, as well, with what little Zombie-tongue she has picked up so far, they'd even talked. But it was always around the others. The moment they had shared at the competition was, thus far, the only real shot at privacy they had been given.

But Bonzo had a plan.

That weekend, there was going to be a block party in Zombie Town, and the humans of Seabrook were invited. It was obvious that he should ask Bree to be his date, but there was something bigger beyond that.

If it had worked for Zed, it could work for him, too.

Asking her was the first step. And it didn't take many words to do it. Bree was already excited about the new experience and a couple of days before the party, she was sitting beside Addison in the school cafeteria, where humans and zombies were now free to mix and mingle, with no restricted seating arrangements. Zed sat on Addison's other side, with Eliza and Bonzo opposite them. The two cheerleaders were going over their plans for the upcoming party, with Zed chipping in every now and then with some tips on zombie customs. Eliza was still getting used to the new level of perkiness and remained silent as she ate. Bonzo, however, had his attention split between the conversation and the apple and knife in his hands. He was waiting for just the right time...

"You know," Addison was saying, "I... kinda expected you to get a date, too, Bree."

Though it was addressed to her friend, Bonzo could practically feel Addison's eyes on him but when he lifted his head, taking the chance while it was there, his eyes stayed stuck on Bree. Addison glanced at her, then back at him, motioning for her to look. When she did, Bonzo smiled.