Letters #1

Dear K,

I hope this letter finds you well. It's been just another week for me here, in our picturesque little town. The days are becoming shorter and the cold bothers me at night, but it's the same as every fall. Unfortunately, nothing seems to be improving, and the cold wind feels more cutting with each passing year.

But I am determined to make it better for myself this time. I am, after all, a woman of action.

I have taken a job as a chamber maid at the local inn to help with the dues. Papa is finding it nearly impossible to find work these days. I am not sure why. He does try and he is handy with almost anything. Still, the townsfolk shun him out like he has some disease.

At least he doesn't appear disheartened. He dedicates most of his time to his inventions. He thinks he can invent rain makers - a sort of projectile he can shoot at the sky to make it rain. He says he would make a fortune once the farms men realize the use of his invention. I find his endeavor questionable, but he gets easily upset if anyone contradicts him.

Truthfully, I didn't try much to dissuade him. Everyone is already against him. He doesn't need his only daughter to badger him with nonsense as well.

On a happier note, I've read the most delightful book this week. It was about a princess who had lost her prince and set out to find him, even as a curse turned her into a mermaid every night at midnight.

Even if I do not believe blessings and curses still exist in our times of peace, I found the story riveting. Such loyalty and so much love. And the adventure, what it must be like to escape the ordinary...

But I'm going off on a tangent. How have you been doing? Hope all is well.

Yours,
Kat

Where are you? Can I see you? What's your name?

Katherine glanced at the words, her heart fluttering with fear. No, she couldn't do this. Couldn't expose herself and him.

With a shaky hand, she crossed out the last two lines in her notebook. The ink flickered and disappeared off the pages, as if they had never been there.

They were gone. He wouldn't see them. And he shouldn't.

As lonely as she was, as much as she cared for her mysterious friend, they could never know specifics about each other.

Because even if she claimed she didn't believe in curses, she held a magical item. He did as well. And in case one of them got caught, the notebook would only lead the executioners to the other.

Magic was forbidden in the kingdom of Iride. And even after thirty years of peace and silence, the punishment for associating with it was the same.

Death.

Dearest Kat,

Dearest Kat,

Rain makers? Seriously? I can tell your father is a resourceful man. Why doesn't he design irrigation systems instead? Seems a lot more lucrative than shooting rocks or whatnot into the sky.

Sorry I started with this, but the idea made me laugh. Of course, in an amused manner, not derogatory. Though you probably know me well enough by now for this explanation to be unnecessary.

Still feels good to laugh once in a while.

I'm sorry to hear that you had to take work. A girl so young should only be concerned with parties and meeting presentable future husbands.

I'm sorry, I laughed at that, too. As you so deftly put it, you are a woman of action. I think parties and courting might be incredibly dull for you.

I hope work doesn't take too much out of your reading time. I know how much you enjoy a good book. That and our conversations is all I have to brighten my days as well.

I have been well. As usual. Life is at a standstill for me. Should I come across any good book, I will recommend it, and we can discuss it. Be it of adventure, loyalty and love or something more grounded like kingdom politics and philosophy.

Looking forward to your next letter. I hope you are well.

Never be afraid to be happy, Kat. You deserve it.

Forever yours,
K.