06

"Lunch Rush's cooking is better."

Uraraka pouts, eating another spoonful of her rice. Midoriya chuckles nervously, though internally he has to agree.

"But it's not bad," Yaoyorozu adds. "They do have less of a selection, though."

All of class 1-A sits together, rather uncomfortably. It is not because of their fellow classmates, but because of the stares they are receiving--from CIHA and UA students alike.

"Ha! Do you hear those entitled class A students? They already get all the attention, so what's a little food--" a smack on the head disrupts the blond's speech, and he glares distastefully at the orange-haired girl.

"Kendou, I don't see why you sympathize with those brats so much. They hog all of the action!" he complains, and receives a sharp look in response.

"They've gone through a lot, Monoma, leave them alone," she responds, and glances at 1-A's table. She looks at their uneasy postures with pity.

Everyone is avoiding their table. . .I feel kind of bad.

Everyone was indeed avoiding their table. It wasn't in a cynical way, but rather out of timidity. No one was brave enough to approach the famous heroics class.

Their first lunch at CIHA passed in tense discomfort.

---------

"I'm coming in," you call.

The wood floor creaks under your feet as you step inside. You remove the key from the door and lock it.

"In here!"

You step over the disarray of shoes gathered in the front and make a mental note to organize them. The grocery bags crinkle with every step, in harmony with the raspy old floor. You drop the bags off in the kitchen and enter the hallway to the left.

At the end of the corridor is a bedroom. The door is cracked open. You steel yourself before entering.

"Mom? It's [Name]."

Your mother lays on her white sheets, snuggled under soft beige blankets. Her head is propped on a matching pillow. On her nightstand is a glass of water and a pill container.

"[Name]! Oh, my baby, you haven't visited in so long. . ." she smiles, her face lighting up. Your mother waves you over, almost excitedly. "Come here, let me see you."

Her room is a mess. Grimacing, you pick your way through the clutter to reach her bedside.

"Mom, I came by last week." You take a seat on the chair by her bed. A look of confusion flashes across her face, but it is gone as soon as it comes.

"Oh, I was only joking," she laughs it off. You know she isn't. She takes hold of your hand with both of hers. "I'm so happy you came by," she whispers in awe. "I'm so lucky to have you."

Her grip on your hand tightens slightly. It is uncomfortable; you feel uneasy. You nod stiffly in response.

"You know, your brother visited recently," your mother sighs dreamily. Her eyes hold a faraway look in them. It is different from the way she looks at you. "Just last Monday. He brought groceries. I was asleep and he left before I woke up. I think he's being shy. He doesn't want to be seen as a little boy anymore, isn't that cute?"

You feel a sudden urge to leave.

"Yeah?" you say halfheartedly. "Speaking of groceries. I'm going to unpack the ones I brought."

You almost sprint out of the room. Sighing, you head to the kitchen. Instead of unloading the food, you take a seat at the counter and stare at the logo to distract yourself. It is from a small store two blocks away, one you frequent far too often.