13

"Aki!"

You ran up to your friend. Kimiko had introduced you to her about two weeks ago, as she was getting her hair cut. It was cute now, a short peach bob, curled at the bottom.

Akiko turned to you with a frown. "[Name], what are doing you here?" she asked you. The noirette had just exited her high school--CIHA. She patted down her uniform and quirked a brow at your awed expression.

"I wanted to see CIHA," you whispered. You looked past the girl. "It's so pretty!"

"You've seen it plenty of times," she said.

"I know, but that doesn't stop it from being really really cool!"

She sighed, a small smile worming its way onto her lips, and brushed back a strand of long hair. "Next week is my last week as a sophomore," she informed you. "I'm going to be a junior in two months."

Akiko would be lying if she said the gleam in your eyes didn't make her feel a bit prouder.

"You're so~ cool!" you exclaimed, [e/c] hues wide and sparkling. "Sometimes I forget that you're a year older than us." Your face brightened at your own words.

"Oh yeah! Where are the twins? We were supposed to go out in the city today, remember? You said you wanted to walk me to work."

Akiko hummed and began walking. You joined her, subtly pushing her to the inner sidewalk so you could walk on the side of the street. "They retired to their dorms. They have a project due tomorrow."

You nodded in understanding, and your eyes softened. "I don't get to see you guys a lot anymore. 'Cause, you know, we go to different schools and all," you mumbled, a bit sadly. You played with the hem of your cheap jacket. You went to a public school, so you didn't wear a uniform.

"Speaking of school. How's yours?" You visibly brighten at Akiko's question.

"I just found out that a classmate from my junior high school was in my class the whole time! We got to talking and he's a really cool guy. He wants to be a hero!"

Akiko smiled. "Really? What's his Quirk?"

"Hm, I'm not really sure. He has horns that grow out of his head, though. One on the right, three on the left. He took the CIHA exam but failed the first time--he's going to re-enroll this year. A lot of people are, actually."

Akiko nodded. "I heard. It's all over social media too."

CIHA accepted only so many students. However, those who failed to get into the school the first time could try again next year and start as a sophomore. There were no try-agains after that, though.

"Why don't you try, [Name]?"

You choked.

"Aki," you whined, "don't joke like that. You know I don't want to be a hero."

"That's too bad," she shrugged. "I think you would make a great one. And, doesn't the government want you to be one too?"

You chuckled, softly. "Well, yes," you admitted. "They even offered to make me a hero early on, too, since I've had the training. If I do, I'm guaranteed acceptance into CIHA." You shook your head.

"But I like things the way they are now. It's calm, peaceful, you know? No stress, my grades are good, and it looks like I have a good chance at landing some scholarships to UCI if I keep this up."