Legend of the Nobblewonker

"Breaking news! A large heatwave has struck the middle of nowhere, with temperatures now reaching over 110 degrees!" The Nowhere Newsman was right. Due to a heatwave, temperatures are now taking a toll on anyone who lives in the middle of Nowhere, especially on 2 people on a farm and their pink pet dog.

"Eustace, it's getting awfully warm in here. You better go turn on the fan." Muriel said, referring to a rickety old fan with one blade in the corner of the room.

"You go turn on the fan! I'm not getting out of this chair." Eustace responded, using his newspaper to wipe sweat from his head.

Courage tried to cool himself down by bringing out a hand held fan, but the fan quickly burned up. Courage then tried to use some ice cubes, but those quickly melted too. He even used a frost ray, but that quickly malfunctioned due to heat.

"On the bright side, there is one place in nowhere that hasn't burned up yet, and that's Nowhere River! That river ought to cool us all down." The Nowhere Newsman reported. Muriel lightened up.

"Boys, we're going to go out to the river!" Muriel announced.

"Yes!" Courage exclaimed, hopping out of the room and getting the swimming gear.

"Blah blah blah! I'm not getting out of this chair." Eustace said, still reading his newspaper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The three sat around on the river bank, Eustace still in his chair, reading the newspaper.

"Nope. Not getting out of this chair." Eustace said.

"Eustace, would it kill you to relax without your chair?" Muriel said, cross that Eustace still refused to get up from his chair.

"No sir! Not getting out of this chair." Eustace responded.

"I'VE SEEN IT! I'VE SEEN IT AGAIN!" A voice screeched. Courage jumped onto Muriel's head out of fear, shocked by the loud voice and afraid of what 'it' could be. "THE NOWHERE NOBBLEWONKER! I'VE SEEN IT AGAIN! COME QUICK BEFORE IT SCRABDOODLES AWAY!" An old hillbilly with a white beard ran around the river, overturning any object he could see before doing a little jig and slapping his knee. This hillbilly's name was Old Man McGucket.

"Aww, look. The old man is doing a happy dance." Muriel said, oblivious to the fact that the man was screaming about a monster in the rivers. Courage, however, was noticing all of this, shivering over all this monster talk.

"NOOO! IT'S A JIG OF GRAVE DANGER!" The hillbilly yelled at Muriel, still doing his 'grave danger jig'.

"Crazy old man." Eustace muttered, before noticing a random squirrel eating a random nut next to him. "What are you looking at, you stupid squirrel?" Eustace put on his scary mask he always scares Courage with. "BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!" Eustace yelled, scaring the squirrel away.

"BUT I GOT PROOF THIS TIME, BY GUMMITY!" McGucket said, leading the three to a dock on the river, where a destroyed boat lauded in the water. "BEHOLD! IT'S THE NOBBLE-DY-WONKER WHAT DONE DID IT!" Old Man McGucket pointed at the wreckage. "IT HAD A LONG NECK LIKE A GEE-RAFFE, AND WRINKLY SKIN LIKE THIS GUY!" McGucket then pointed at Eustace.

"Eh?" Eustace glanced up from his newspaper. Meanwhile, Courage was shaking in fear over the thought of the creature that McGucket was talking about.

"IT CHAWED MY BOAT UP TO SMITHEROONS AND SHIM-SHAMMED OVER TO SCUTTLEBUTT ISLAND! YOU JUST GOT TO BELIEVE ME!" McGucket yelled.

"Stupid old man. Made me get out of chair for nothing." Eustace headed back to his chair to read his newspaper, and Muriel and Courage followed.

"Aw, donkey spittle. Aw, banjo polish." McGucket walked off.