LOCATION DESCRIPTION

INT. SCREENWRITER'S LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

Decadent, spacious loft space. The high rise of sea level living.

THE SCREENWRITER
As promised, here I am. Back to tell you about screenwriting. We're covering location description this time. What a fun topic. Are you excited? I am.

The Screenwriter smiles. They get an A+ for effort.

THE SCREENWRITER (CONT')
The key to location description is: write as little as possible but say as much as you can. Less really is more! You know the biggest sign of a bad screenwriter? TOO MUCH DESCRIPTION! You're not writing a novel here people!!! Hollywood doesn't want your paragraphs!!! All they want is enough information to understand the location your characters are in. Look back at my description of my living room...

The Screenwriter points to the location description at the top of this page. (Hoping readers will go read it!)

THE SCREENWRITER (CONT')
That's two sentences. But they say a lot. Decadent? It's fancy. Spacious loft? It's a big room. High rise? Means the view out any window isn't a street. That's a very basic outline of a room, but there's plenty to work with. The only thing missing might be a personal touch. This is my house, how do I make it mine?? Your job is to improve upon this description, readers! Add something that would make it unique! For example, a specific painting, a charismatic pet, a type of furniture, a tv, a bookcase, etc. Get creative!