An Old Friend

"Raileen?" Thranduil said.

Galion frowned. "Yes, I believe I said that."

Thranduil patted Realn on the back. "Come, let us go greet Raileen and retrieve your crystal ball from my office. Thank you, Galion."

Galion nodded to his brother as he passed, holding Realn's hand in his. Realn walked beside his father in silence. At the door to Thranduil's office, Realn let go of his hand and clasped them behind his back. Thranduil opened the door and entered the room.

Raileen turned around from the desk, holding Realn's crystal ball in one hand, his red hair falling in a waterfall of rippling silk over his shoulder and down his back. His dark eyes smiled into Thranduil's as he inclined his head in a greeting.

"Thranduil, the time since my last visit has been too long."

Realn whimpered at the sight of his crystal ball in the hands of a stranger but kept his lips pressed firmly together. His eyes stayed on Raileen's hand, opening wide as he let out a scream at the sight of Raileen casually tossing the precious object.

Thranduil held out a hand, looking from Raileen's puzzled face to the crystal ball. He caught the object and handed it to Realn. Clutching it to his chest, Realn hurried from the room. As the door closed, Thranduil sank down in his chair with a small sigh.

"I can see much as gone by," Raileen said, perching on the edge of the desk.

Thranduil closed his eyes. "Too much. Eigil has abused my son to an inch of his life and put him into a state of terror. He refuses my help; refuses even to trust me. Everything I say falls on deaf ears. He is afraid of me, Raileen, and I know not what to do!"

Raileen's brow ceased in bewilderment. "I see you are upset. Come to the living room and recount to me your pain."

Thranduil heaved himself from his chair, pressing a hand to his forehead as he thought of Legolas so pale against the sheets of the bed, cringing at every word; every touch. Raileen's hand closed around his arm and guided him from the office to the warm interior of the living room. Thranduil sat in his armchair before the fire with Raileen facing him from the opposite chair.

"How have your travels been?" Thranduil asked.

Raileen smiled. "They have been well indeed. I enjoy experiencing the customs and cultures of the many realms across Middle Earth. Ellhamier told me your sons could fire bend."

Thranduil winced. "Indeed, all but Legolas. And that is what tears at my heart most. Because of my gifts, Legolas has been hurt. It is my fault. And alas that I was so blind as to let the evil unfold right beneath my very eyes!"

"Tell me," Raileen suggested.

Staring without a light in his eyes at the pile of ashes lying within the grate of the fireplace, Thranduil recounted the sad tale, spilling out the pain and grief ravaging the nerves of his heart. The memory of Legolas coming to his office with his pleas of release from his cage of pain brought the tears to Thranduil eyes. He dropped his head into his hands and cried, tears splashing from between his fingers as he stumbled out the words to the rest of the story.

"He will never trust me again," Thranduil sobbed. "You know not what it is like for me to experience the horrible pain of knowing my son fears me! My own son! Oh valar!"

Raileen leaned forward and took Thranduil's hands, wetted by his tears in his own. He looked into Thranduil's eyes and promised, "Legolas will trust you again, Thranduil. You may not think he will but I know he will."

"How can you know what I do not?" Thranduil cried, tears still dripping from his eyes.

"When I ran from my father," Raileen said, "I thought all hopes of having friends and being able to trust were gone from my life. I did not even know the meaning of the word trust. But then I met you and Ciran and Ellhamier and Jaiz, and that all changed. You taught me to trust and love; something my parents never considered teaching me. You gave me more then I could have ever hoped or dreamed for, Thranduil.

"I know Legolas will trust you, Thranduil. He never stopped loving you; he thought you had stopped loving him."

Thranduil closed his eyes as fresh, warm tears welled up. "I never once stopped loving him. How could he have doubted me? I . . ."

"The lashes of a whip can dull even the strongest emotions," Raileen said. His dark eyes looked into Thranduil's, the light of experience on the matter shining in their depths. "I know the cruelty of my father scattered to the wind any hidden love I may have had for him. Now I look forward to the day when he will die and never return to haunt this world."

Thranduil pulled one hand free from Raileen's grip to wipe his eyes as the tears stopped running.

"Legolas needs you now," Raileen continued. "He may be afraid of you, but in his heart he aches for you."

"He shoves me away whenever I try to hold him," Thranduil said, biting his lip as grief bubbled within him.

Raileen sat back in his chair. "Nonetheless, he still needs you to be there for him. You must show him how much you love him. It is the darkest hour, when no light shines through anywhere, that you must stay strong."

Thranduil sighed. "I am not sure I can. I am afraid—I am so afraid!"

"I have seen how much your sons all love you," Raileen said. "And how much you love them. You have given them no reason to hesitate to trust you. And from that I know Legolas still loves you."

"You are the one with experience in matters of abuse," Thranduil said, slumping in his armchair.

Raileen winced. "Those of us who do, do not come by it willingly." He leaned forward again to press Thranduil's hand in his. "I know the heavy weight of despair. But I know also the joy of it lifting and it was you who gave me that honor. Take my words, believe in them, and your life will be mended."

"I am trying," Thranduil said, his voice far away, dwelling on life before it was shattered. He looked up as Cinwe entered the room. She smiled a greeting to Raileen.

"How is Legolas?" Raileen asked.

"He sleeps," Cinwe answered. She looked at her husband. "I have sent the rest of the children out of his room. I thought you might like to sit with him alone."

Thranduil swallowed as he nodded. "Yes. Yes, I will."

Thranduil rose to his feet, extending his arms to Raileen. The elf came gladly to accept the hug. "Thank you. I feel better knowing you believe there is some hope."

"There is," Raileen said as Thranduil stepped away and headed for the door. He returned to his chair and looked at Cinwe as she sat down.

"Perhaps a cup of wine?" Cinwe offered, causing Raileen's face to break out in a wide grin.

"I hate to refuse when such a pretty woman offers it," Raileen answered.