Bonding

Legolas opened his eyes, trying to remember where he was for the room was not his own. He shifted on the soft mattress, a low cry escaping him as he saw Eigil standing at the foot of the bed, a long knife in hand.

"Hello, Legolas," Eigil said, coming closer. "It is time for your punishments to be increased."

"No!" Legolas cried, trying to scramble far away from the horrible knife. The sheets tangled around him. He looked up in terror. "But I did not lie to you! I did tell ada what I said I would! You cannot punish me!"

Eigil grinned. "Indeed. I do not intend to punish you. I intend to kill you!"

The knife stabbed into his arm. Legolas howled in agony, his body bucking beneath the blankets. He saw the blade rise up, red blood dripping down onto the white pillow. He tore through the sheets, stumbling and tripping from the bed as he tried to flee Eigil. He fell on his knees as he felt the knife stab into his back. He choked on blood as he saw the tip of his knife poke out of his chest. Legolas collapsed at Eigil's feet, feeling his sticky blood pooling beneath him, the cold metal of the knife in his chest. Eigil smiled down at him, kneeling to run a finger across his cheek.

"Goodbye, Legolas," Eigil said. "Did I not say the price of disobedience would be great?"

"No," Legolas moaned.

"Your father hates you!" Eigil spat, striking the dying elfling across the face. "He left you here alone to my mercies! He cares not for you for you are a failure! A failure!"

"You lie!" Legolas cried, tears streaming from his eyes. "You lie! Ada does love me! He does not hate me!"

"He does, little leaf," Eigil said, hi voice faraway. "Think about the price of his love . . ."

Legolas lay on the floor as Eigil disappeared, at the left side of the bed where he had tumbled, tears streaming from his eyes as the last flickers of life ebbed away. He lay in darkness until a splash of water on his cheek dimly surprised him. He cracked his eyes open, trying to focus on the blurry view of the room. He heard breathing and, thinking it may be Eigil, he croaked, "Please do not torture me anymore. I will do anything."

A gentle hand touched his cheek, wiping away the teardrop. His voice choked by tears, Thranduil said, "It is me, Legolas. Eigil is not hear and he never will be. I am here to love and protect you."

Legolas's body stiffened as he twisted his head to look up, feeling the carpet of the floor beneath him. His mouth dropped open as he saw the tears streaming from his father's eyes, dripping from his face. He stammered, "I-I am s-sorry, ada. What h-have I d-done now to up-upset you?"

"You have done nothing, Legolas," Thranduil said, his voice trembling. "I am sad because have been hurt. It hurts me to see you afraid and injured."

"I-I am s-sorry," Legolas stuttered, cringing back. "P-please do not punish me."

Thranduil slid an arm under his son and lifted Legolas into his arms, laying him down against the sheets of the bed. Legolas buried his face in the pillow, tears leaking from his eyes. He felt the mattress shift as Thranduil slid into bed beside him and ran a hand over his hair. He started to cry.

"What is the matter?" Thranduil asked. "Are you wounds hurting you?"

Legolas shook his head. "N-n-no. I-I-"

"Yes?" Thranduil encouraged. "You can tell me anything, little leaf. For nothing would I hurt you as Eigil has done."

At the mention of Eigil, Legolas shuddered, remembering his all to real dream. "I-I want you to love me, ada, but I cannot pay the price for your love. I am sorry to be a failure; I love you with all my heart and I wish—"

Thranduil's eyes opened wide in horror. "Oh, Legolas, little leaf, there is no price for my love. I give it freely. I never once stopped loving you, Legolas. Come to me; there is no price for me."

Legolas's lips trembled as he peeked out from under the pillow covering his face at his father. He met Thranduil's watery blue eyes with his own and tears trickled down his cheeks. Abandoning the pillow, he crawled as close to Thranduil as he could, clinging to him beneath the warmth of the blankets. He felt Thranduil's arms wrap around him in an embrace and hug him tight. Thranduil buried his face in his son's hair and wept.

"H-have I done so-something again?" Legolas spluttered.

Thranduil shook his head as the ache in his chest streamed out of his eyes. "You have done nothing, Legolas. You must believe me. I love you so much. I was afraid after what Eigil has done to you, you would never love or trust me again."

"I never stopped loving you," Legolas said. "I-I thought you had stopped loving me b-because I cannot fire bend."

Thranduil swallowed around the sore lump in his throat as he rocked Legolas in his arms. "I love you, ion nin, as much as any of your brothers, as much as your mother."

Legolas wanted to believe his father so badly he chose to ignore the nagging whispers of Eigil's wicked voice in he back of his head. Rocked by Thranduil's strong, gentle arms and held close to his warm body, he snuggled under the blankets, closing his tired eyes.

As Thranduil planted warm kisses on his cheeks, he mumbled, "I want my brothers." His eyes popped open as he remembered he was not allowed to demand things. "I-I mean—" He regarded Thranduil in fear, but Thranduil's face softened into a smile as he patted Legolas's cheek.

"Of course. I will call them." Knowing he would be heard, Thranduil raised his voice and called Cinwe's name. As his wife appeared with Raileen behind her, worry burning hot in her eyes, Thranduil said, "Legolas would like to see his brothers."

Cinwe drew in a deep breath, resting her head against the door. "Yes, yes, of course. I-I feared the worst . . ." Collecting herself, she crossed the hall to Brenen's room and peered in, speaking softly. A minute later her three sons charged past Raileen.

"Are you feeling better?" Mykar asked, peering at Legolas.

Legolas nodded.

"He is very tired," Cinwe said, coming into the room and shutting the door.

"Please stay," Legolas mumbled. "C-can they please stay, ada?" It took all his courage to ask the question, afraid of harsh blows or cruel words. But he was so sleepy, his fear was dulled somewhat.

"Climb into bed but mind your brother's back," Thranduil said, nodding to the blankets.