The Day My Mother Slapped The King

Web yawned as he crawled into his bed and lay down on his stomach, his cheek against the pillow. Anialia leaned over him to deliver a kiss and pull up the blankets. She stepped back and glanced at her husband and son, engaged in a serious game of checkers and put her finger to her lips for Ilune was taking her nap as well.

Galleon and Zionel nodded. But no sooner had Anialia stepped away then a loud knock sounded on the door and everyone rushed to the door to silence the knocker before he could knock again.

Galleon eased the door to step any creaks. The elf outside dipped over at the waist, dark bangs covering his forehead down to his yellow eyes. He was dressed in the white and gold of a healer.

"Good afternoon," he said. "I am Healer Helix, sent to assess the condition of Web. May I come in?"

"Yes, but keep the voice down," Anialia said, "My daughter and Web are sleeping."

Helix stepped into the house, his footsteps soft on the floor. Anialia gestured to the bed. "I hope you can do your examination while he sleeps. Try not to wake him."

Briar, nose on his paws, lying under Web's bed, lifted his face and growled. Zionel put a finger to his lips and shook his head and the wolf quieted.

"It will not be a problem," Helix assured Anialia as he crossed to the bed.

Galleon shut the door and returned to his game with Zionel. Anialia migrated into the kitchen to check on the biscuits in the oven and take a piece of meat out of the meat safe for dinner.

Healer Helix finished his examination and came to stand beside Zionel as they finished their checker game. Galleon beckoned him into the kitchen and shut the door.

"Well?" he said. Zionel leaned back against the door to listen.

"Web has recovered well in your care," Helix replied. "But he is still weak and if we move him back to the healing wing now, the crisp air may reawaken the illness. I must ask you to keep Web until he is definitely stronger and can be taken home safely."

Anialia laid down the knife in her hands beside the chunks of meat and wiped her bloody hands on her apron before she picked up the knife and resumed chopping.

"The court offers you a sum of gold in return for the time you take to look after Web," Helix continued. He was about to name the sum but Anialia rammed the knife into the wood chopping board and the sound cut him off. Zionel also leapt forward but Galleon caught his arm.

Anialia took a minute to collect herself before she turned to the startled Healer with fury in her eyes. Her voice was cold and icy and the blood from the meat staining her hands and apron gave her a demonic look.

"Healer," she said. "You can turn around and leave my house before I make mincemeat of you! What kind of people do you take us for? I thought better of you; of the whole royal court! People who accept your money to foster the few orphans there are want the money alone. They do not care about the elfling in need of love; he is simply a form of solid gold! We, Helix, are not like that! Now get out before I think twice and really do turn you into steak!"

"Ilune is sleeping, my love," Galleon struggled to keep a straight face as he said it. Anialia gave him a withering look.

Zionel stared at his mother; he had never seen her so angry in all his years as her son.

"The king," began Helix, looking ruffled by the sudden hurricane.

"Oh yes, the king!" said Anialia. "I knew him; even courted him! I have a good mind to march up to the palace and give him a tight slap in the face! Galleon, throw this insult out of our house!"