Forgiveness And Acceptance

"When may I leave bed, ada?" Legolas asked.

Thranduil reached for Legolas's hand. "You are still hurt, little leaf."

Legolas lowered his eyes. "I-I—to be truthful, ada, I am feeling better then I have in weeks and I grow impatient to move and breath the fresh air. Because of the hard work I had to complete with Eigil, I had little time to experience the joys of the outside world, and I miss it. But I will obey you."

Thranduil touched Legolas's cheek. "I wish not for you to be hurt, ion nin, and I fear if you leave bed, your wounds will reopen."

Legolas swallowed and shook his head, leaning his cheek against his father's hand. "I will be fine, ada. When I was hurt and alone, I lived in pain every day and survived." His voice trembled. "Please, I beg you to allow me to leave bed if only for a few hours!"

Thranduil heart exploded into a well of grief at the expression in Legolas's eyes. "No, no, little leaf, never will you have to beg me for anything. You may venture outside but I ask you to accept the company of Raileen or Ellhamier or even me in case you feel the need to rest."

Legolas felt his cheeks flame hot. He was not as weak as his father may think but he could not find the courage to put his embarrassed and ashamed feelings to word. He faltered, "I-I was hoping to be alone . . ."

Thranduil sat back, pinching his lips. "I wish . . ."

"Could I not go with one of my brothers?" Legolas said quickly.

Thranduil's face relaxed. "Yes, you may. I wish only for you to be in the company of someone in case something happens . . ."

Legolas nodded. "I understand, ada."

Thranduil slid off the bed and held out a hand to Legolas. Legolas took it as he slid from beneath the blankets. As he legs hit the floor, he realized how long it had been since he had actually walked as his tight muscles began to loosen up.

"I will leave you to change while I ask Brenen to join you on your walk," Thranduil said, stepping from the room.

Legolas flexed his back muscles, feeling the old cuts stretch. As he straightened up, the pulled flesh slid back into place. He reached for his father's comb and pulled it through his hair, encountering a few tangles at the end only for his parents had combed his hair every morning and night, and Legolas had enjoyed it. As he set down the comb and dressed in the clean clothes hanging over the back of the chair, the door opened and Brenen bounced in.

"Are you ready to go for a long walk?" Brenen asked with enthusiasm.

Legolas pulled his hair out of the back of his tunic as he jerked it down and gave a slow nod. Thranduil looked at him with anxiety. "You are sure you wish to do this?"

"Yes, adar," Legolas answered. His eyes brightened as he thought of the green his eyes had missed for so long outside.

"Have a good walk," Thranduil said as Brenen skipped past him and Legolas followed more slowly. "Come back when you tire."

Legolas looked up into his father's eyes as he passed and the bright light shining in them brought a spark of happiness to Thranduil's heart as he realized how much joy he was bringing to his son's life. He closed the door behind his sons and leaned against it with a long sigh. The memory of Legolas's unwillingness to say if he feared him or not drifted back to him, and a shadows lingered over his face. He pulled himself away from the door and sank into his armchair, dropping his head into his hands, the flash of joy he had felt minutes ago lost in the sudden shadow.

"Thranduil, mellon nin?"

Thranduil raised his head to meet Raileen's questioning eyes as the elf peered around the door of his chamber, his red hair falling to the side of his face as he peered questioningly at Thranduil.