Chapter Three: Toucan-anas and Other Hybrids

The picture above was drawn by the very artistic ThunderclanWarrior12. I suggest checking her out if you love the art~

________________________________________________________________________________

The cool breeze brushed against Rougeoyer's soft red scales as he watched the sun set. The swish of leaves filled his ears as he sat atop a jungle tree, quite some distance away from the village. Amaryllis was beside him, her tail coiled around his right leg. They were silent as the forest went dark. They could occasionally see fireflies peak out from the treetops and birds screech. After all, it was still a jungle. Far out was the tie-dye glow of their village, courtesy of the Luminbrilles. The duo sat in silence until it was broken by Amaryllis.

"That dream must've been a sign."

"Mm hm," Rougeoyer mumbled.

"But it's been weeks. And nothing has happened."

"Score two for captain obvious."

"Amar is the most beautiful Flos in the forest."

"Yep."

"And Rouger would love nothing more than to mate her."

"Uh hu- wait a second," Rougeoyer flew out of though to turn towards Amaryllis, ears and feelers fallen back as she laughed. No one but Amaryllis would be able to tell that he was blushing due to his red scales. 

"That would be cross-breeding, Amar!"

"You make it sound like we're animals. And that it's never been done before."

Rougeoyer shook his head. "We're getting off topic," he avoided, "the dream- why would Mayry and Hayry choose us?"

"Well, either it was a mistake, were just some story being told by my dad, or Mayry and Hayry needed some fresh, young minds."

"Yeah, to sacrifice," Rougeoyer shivered as the memories of the dreams reignited in his mind.

"They wouldn't do that. Unless it was for, like, the greater good," the Flos spoke softly.

"Like I'm worth sacrificing!" Rougeoyer sighed, throwing his hands up. Amaryllis chuckled.

"Well, if it'd help, we can talk to my mom. She knows someone who can interpret dreams."

"At this point, what choice do we have? The dream can't simply go unnoticed."

It was agreed. Go to Dragontail so she can find someone to interpret their dream. Hopefully it wasn't as literal as it seemed. Amaryllis glided below the treetops as Rougeoyer climbed down head first. Once on the ground, the duo pranced off to locate Dragontail, which was easier said than done. Dragontail was one of the Catchers, meaning she and her bonding partner located insects and flowers, recorded where they naturally grew and why, then proceeded to try and grow them nearby. Luckily for Rougeoyer and Amaryllis, Dragontail should be teaching rather than out in the field at this time of... just past dusk? It was hard to tell, with seven moons in the sky. It was bright enough to simulate a soft sun, and the sun had just set... Regardless, Dragontail usually taught both day and night partners for the purpose of breaks for dragons who specialized in specifically night or day.

Dragontail's teaching area was lush and just as far from the village as Largeur's teaching area. Once there, Rougeoyer saw the snouts of students in bushes, while the tail of others stuck out of them. Dragontail seemed mildly pleased with her work, swishing her... well, dragontail-inspired dragon tail across the dirt, picking up some dust. Amaryllis just happened to get it right in the snout, coughing. Dragontail's ears perked up as she turned around.