Untitled Part 6

The inside of the house was more chaotic than Mae could've ever imagined. There were plates scattered out on the floor, trash stuffed in corners, and a smell that Mae could only describe to be like a barbecue on steroids. To the left, there was a hallway, with three rooms. She assumed that one of them had to be Casey's. She made her way down, being carful not to step on any forks along the way. As she got closer to the end, she started to hear yelling and screaming, coming from behind one of the closed doors. As she approached the door, she realized that it was the man from the front door, and another woman, which Mae assumed to be Casey's mother. 

"Why Don't You ever do anything?!"

"Oh what, like now it's my fault?!"

"It has always fucking been your fault, Jim! Why can't you realize that your son has needs that go beyond being fed twice a day?!"

"Don't you dare use that damn tone with me! I have a half of mind to-" 

Mae had heard enough. She slipped behind the nearest door and closed it. She had appeared to had entered some sort of bedroom, however, it barely seemed to meet the requirements. There was an air mattress on the floor, a thin blanket, and a pack of cigarettes. Her eyes moved to the walls. There were a few posters, two of them were bands that Mae didn't recognize, but the other one caught her eye. It was for Demontower, a game that she used to love to play when she was like 12. Maybe they did have something in common after all. 

*click*

Mae could hear the door starting to open behind her. In a panic, she hid in the closet behind a few t shirts and a hoodie that smelled very strongly of ashes. She held her breath as the person walked into the room. 

It was Casey. He had bruises on his arms, as well as a black eye. He made his way across the room and climbed out of the window. Mae had to see where he was going, so she followed after him, into the rainy fall afternoon.