Chapter 5.1: Amy's Number

Mr. Buckingham reached into his pocket and grabbed some small yellow note cards.

"My memory can be frightful and I don't want to forget anything," he said nodding at the cards.

"Today is everyone's first-class today with Achilles. Are you excited?"

A general cheer erupted from the room.

"Awesome. I know he's excited to meet with you, guys. He's going to be meeting with you two or three squads at a time throughout the day. We've posted some schedules around, so keep an eye out. Your time probably will alternate between two or three different times a week; we're trying to work with everyone's schedule as best we can.

"For today, if you have a costume that you wear, we'd like to you wear that. Or least bring it. We and Achilles would like to know what you usually wear when you fight crime and if we can help at all getting you the best wardrobe for the job."

So if you've got it, wear it. If not, don't worry about it. Just go and we'll figure it out."

"Secondly, I know a lot of you are not from around this part of the country. Owbviouslleh, Ah am not aithah," he said exaggerating his southern accent. "And it was pointed out to me that, in order to save you all roaming charges being added to your bills, we will be providing you all with a phone to use during your time here."

"Now I know that some of you spent a good deal of money on your phones, so you might not want to be separated. By the time you get it back, it won't be new anymore. Fair enough, I say. So you will all be provided with a brand new, top of the line model from... well, let's just say, you'll be impressed when you see it. And if you follow such things, you'll realize that this model won't even ship commercially till next month. Don't say Uncle Sam never did anything for you," he said with a smile.

"They won't have full app functionality. Given the confidential nature of this program, we didn't think posting pictures of a secret facility on Instagram or Facebook would be all that wise. Also, for some boring business reasons with our carrier here, if you want to contact anyone outside the program, you'll have to email them through a special app on the phone. Regional carriers can be finicky like that." He shrugged.

"So, on your way out, if you'll turn in your phone to one of the faculty members by the doors, they'll supply you with one brand new replacement. Don't worry, we'll keep them safe for you.

"Enjoy your first real day, everyone!"

"So, ... Gary," Wyatt started. The word seemed to roll awkwardly off his tongue. It sounded weird to be casual with a celebrity. "Do you know what time we're meeting Achilles at?"

"2:00. I think it's gonna start right after lunch."

"Well, I guess we'll meet back up then," William said, outstretching his open hand to Gary.

"Yeah, it was good to meet you guys," he responded, taking Gary's offered handshake.

The group disbanded quickly as they made their way's to the various garbages to chuck their plates.

As he approached the exit, he noticed where a few of the unused cafeteria tables had been pulled towards the exit, staffed by a few office workers helping people waiting to exchange their phones. However, the process wasn't going quickly and what had begun as a simple line had slowed into a glacial mass of people waiting to be helped as lunch ended.

Taking a spot in what he hoped was a line exit, Wyatt started reaching into his pocket to grab his phone, when he noticed a girl off to the side was having an argument with one of the faculty who was exchanging phones. Wyatt couldn't quite understand what they were saying, but as he got closer, he realized it was Amy, the girl he and Todd had met yesterday. She was wearing blue skinny jeans and a red, almost maroon sweater. Her brown leather slip-ons were the same color as her eyes, he noticed.