The Darkness That Consumes Us

Rain poured down, hard and unforgiving for those who were stupid enough to dwell outside. I was stupid enough to dwell outside in this weather. The skies were eerily dark, almost completely black. Although that might also have been because of the time. Being outside, late at night, with a storm approaching might not have been the smartest thing I had done, but I didn't care. I remained still.

I sat on the ground, feeling the wet mud sip through my pants, feeling the rain run down my cheeks and bare arms. My hair stuck to my forehead and cheeks, I didn't bother wiping it away. The ground shook as the lightning started to strike the trees and the lake in front of me. However, I remained still. I thought of my friend, who was afraid of thunder, how he most likely was covering in his bed, or maybe even in his wardrobe at the moment. I thought of myself, that should be with him, keep him strong, keep him safe.

The rock in front of me seemed to judge me where I sat; drenched, cold, miserable. The list went on. I stared at it, as if it was some kind of puzzle. It may not have made any sense, it was a rock after all. Although this simple rock meant a lot to me. I brought my knees towards my chin and wrapped my arms around them. The rain made my clothes heavier, and heavier. Making my cheeks wet, and cold. I didn't even know if I was crying or not. The thunder roared, now right above me. I should probably go home.

But no, I remained still.