Chapter 1

"Paige, baby, Braeden is in his last minutes of life. His doctors said that he isn't responding well to the medicine and treatments they were giving to him. Paige, please come, we're at Guards Clinic he needs yo–," Paige clicked. Her mind goes blank; the only thing stuck in her head was the hospital's name and Michelle's voice saying Braeden needs her. She starts rushing to her car with trembling hands and a racing heart; her mind was going to the dark possibility that she was going to lose him.

"This can't be happening," she wailed. Her bleary eyes burned, finally giving out and letting the tears fall, making her eyes change from their soft brown color to a somber grey tone. Her crying became loud, her bottom lip slipping in-between her teeth.

Her eyes were glued to the pavement ahead, her foggy vision making it impossible for her to make out the color of the traffic lights– "Why are none of them green?"

Busy streets, heavy rain, and thoughts; that's what Paige was taking in with every blink she took. She was struggling with staying focused on the road, struggling to remember the way to the hospital, struggling to comprehend why he had to go now and not her. She hasn't been to that clinic since last year.

Coming up to a red light, Paige realized just how dire the situation was, "Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck," she slurred out, her lips becoming wet as her eyes turned glossy in correlation to her red, puffy cheeks. The urge to see Braeden was enough to make her body feel a rush of cold blood and muscle twitches. She didn't want to know what his condition was, but she did know he was strong; she believed in him.