Chapter 6

Paige was looking at Braeden on the hospital bed; her eyes were watery, her hands holding Braeden's in hers.

     "I–, Braeden," she breathed out, "I'm so sorry for leaving you. I had gone over to my moms, and she thought I needed a break. A little break. I didn't want to leave you alone, clueless as to where or why I left. I wanted to call you, but I always thought you'll ignore me or just ask for explanations and I couldn't tell you. Not through the phone, I couldn't." Paige shifted on the chair, her hands cupping Braeden's hand, a tear escaping from her eyes, "Why did you keep it from me? I wouldn't have left you. God, I would never do anything to hurt you." she sobbed, her head digging into the pillow next to him.

     "Braeden, you have leukemia, and you never planned on telling me this while you were fine? When you were happy and good to go every day? Braeden, why didn't you?" Paige questioned, wishing he could hear her. His heartbeat was healthy, his breathing was very neutral, and he just looked... pale.

     She dug her head in between his hand, her forehead touching the cold and sweaty palm of Braeden, her sobbing muffling against the hospital bed. A twitch of his hand startled her to open her eyes and stare at the bed. A shuffling noise from the bottom of Braeden's blanket made her grow a smile, a hand coming up to wipe away her tear.

     Braeden was moving, and Paige was witnessing it.

     Braeden was awake, and she knew Braeden had heard.

     "Brae?" Paige spoke, her eyes shifting from his face to his moving legs, "Braeden, it's me, Paige." she smiled, her tears rolling down faster and much fuller than before. Braeden's throat was dry; his eyes were closed, seeing the light through his eyelids, his hands– cold and sweaty– up against Paige's small, warm hands.

     "Paige," he spoke; his voice shaking, his lungs struggling to catch a decent breath, "Paige, turn off the light." he croaked. He pointed at the light that was making it hard for him to see her, the one person he's been dying to see the most in a year.

     "Ye-yeah, sure," Paige replied. She leaned her back against the chair, extending her arm to reach the distant wall to flip the light switch off. Paige went back to her previous position, her hands hesitating on whether or not they should hold Braeden's once again.

     "Are you okay? A-are you feeling well, want me to call a doc–,"

     "Paige," Braeden spoke, making her stop and pay attention to every word he had to say.

     "Paige, I heard you."

     She frowned; her eyes shifting back and forth, from the door to the hospital bed, ignoring his face.

     "Hey, look at me," Braeden winced, his arm reaching up to touch her cheek. She jerked a bit but eased into his touch slowly. Her eyes landed on his, and she saw something in his eyes she's never seen before.

     Regret.

     Lots and lots of regret and secrets.

     "I know why you left,"

     Paige stiffened up, her head jerking to the side while her eyes remained focused on Braeden's.

     "I know you needed time, but I understand. I did too."

     Paige gulped, noticing that Braeden, too, needed some time.

     "But you," she asked, "why did you need time? Braeden, I–"