~Four~

"Sophia." He knocks on her door lightly. His eyes are ringed with darkness and the lines around his mouth are deeper today. It is suffice to say that he experienced little sleep. He knocks again when he receives no response. Sophia is usually up and about at this time of day. The maids told him she had not yet left her bedroom. He believes she is upset with him. He understands all too well. His words were not kind last night. Wine had loosened his lips and his patience.

"Sophia? I came to apologise and make friends again..." Again he receives no answer and his forehead draws into a frown. He knocks again, more insistent this time. "It is not like you to be so childish!"" He bites his tongue. He did not come here to reprimand her. "I am coming in," he warns her. He turns the door handle and steps within. A cool breeze whips around him and straight out the now open door.

His chest tightens and his eyes dart frantically around the room. He rushes to her adjoining washroom and his chest feels as if a weight has been dropped upon it, stifling every breath. Her bed is empty, the sheets haphazardly strewn across it. She is not anywhere to be seen.

He marches from her room and alerts the nearest servant. His daughter must be found. How could she run away?

He halts and his hand comes up to his mouth. His words. They must have frightened her. He will not forgive himself if she cannot be found. He did not think it was within Sophia to run away but he should have known. It is not as if her mother stayed. It clearly runs within the blood.

"My Lord?" He turns to see his manservant waiting patiently. "There is a guest waiting to see you, a Lord Andre Marcel."

"I will see him in my study."

The manservant nods and leaves the room. Lord Holden waits a few minutes before going to his study. Andre stands when he enters and does a courteous bow.

"I suggest you get straight to the point of your presence here. I have little time this morning."

"Lord Holden, I am here to ask for your permission in courting your daughter." His eyebrows rise. Despite his words he did think the young man would skirt the subject for at least a little time. "I think she is remarkable and would make an excellent wife. I would make her a good husband."

"Do you have reason to believe Sophia would agree to this?"

"Not as yet but I intend to prove myself to her."

Lord Holden nods to himself before sinking down into his seat behind the desk. He gestures for Andre to do the same. He steeples his fingers and thoughtfully considers the young man before him. This was not one of the young men he chose to invite the evening before. He was an addition that came along with an invited guest. He knows very little about this one apart from his relation. He had seen Sophia confer with the two of them and he had seen her smile.

"Tell me about yourself."

Andre's lips twist up into a conceited smirk. "I am from a wealthy family in Luther. I hold the King's ear and I would remain completely faithful to your daughter. She is a beauty but more than that, she has a mind of her own. She would have access to anything she wanted and I would hold back nothing from her. What more do you need to know?"

"She is my only child. I love her dearly and I want the best for her. When I die this land will belong to her, and her husband. You live far away. You will have to travel here often and put someone here that you trust. I am not sure you are capable."

Andre's jaw tenses imperceptibly. "Your daughter and I would choose an acceptable person together and I have no issue with travelling. You can ask anyone you wish, a bad word will not be said against me even by those who would wish me harm."