~Twenty Three~

Sophia listens, silently watching as her husband and King George converse. Before her she sees two strong men, confident in their own beliefs and status battling to be the most dominant in the room. It reminds her of two dogs she had when she was younger. They would growl at each other a metre apart, chests puffed out, hackles high but wary enough to respect that a fight would wound them both. It was simple enough to bond the two dogs back then, however to bond the two men before her would be a greater challenge, one she does not wish to take on.

Dinner has been eaten, all seven courses of it, and cleared away. The small group of royals now retired to a private sitting room. George takes a measured drink and his eyes flick over to her. He inclines his head and gestures for her to join them. "I apologise on behalf of my wife, sickness from the babe seems to be striking her in the evenings." Indeed it has, Charlotte vacated the dining room shortly after the third course.

"No need to apologise. I enjoyed conversing with her. I will visit her in the morning to spend more time with her." Sophia dips her head slightly, eyeing her husband who dips his head in agreement. Inwardly she sighs with relief.

"She will appreciate the company. I have brought gifts for you both." George turns and nods at one of his men. The man leaves and returns with others holding gifts. Only one stands apart holding nothing. "I bring you the latest of our discoveries within the mines. We have found beautiful and rare jewels that would stun any who view them."

Darian casts his eyes across the boxes as each servant opens them for his inspection. He stops before the last man. "Why does this one stand here?"

George glances at Sophia then steps forward to stand beside Darian.

"This young man is my gift to Sophia. He has received the highest order of training and speaks a multitude of languages. I prize him above many others for his loyalty and his ability to keep ones secrets private. As Sophia hails from my lands I will accept no less than the best protection for her. He must join her private guard."

King Darian bristles at the quiet confidence in George's voice.

"I am sure you agree that Your Queen deserves nothing less than the best our two countries can offer. Indeed his presence here is the only way I can be assured that our friendship can continue."

"Of course. I am sure Sophia is touched by your care of her and will accept this young man into her guard," Darian produces through gritted teeth.

"Indeed. I am grateful."

"You look tired, you should retire now." Sophia inclines her head to her husband, accepting his dismissal of her presence.

"Indeed I am. My new man shall escort me and be acquainted with my personal guard." Without waiting for a reply she leaves in a bustle of her voluminous skirts. James follows expression relaxed and obedient.

He falls into step behind her and they are silent until she gets to her quarters, three others falling into step behind them. She stops at her doors, two men standing beside them. She nods her head and they open the doors. She steps in and turns. "I am going to have a short discussion with my new guard. Only two of you need remain outside for the duration." They dip their heads in acknowledgement and James follows her in. The doors shut behind then. "Do you have siblings?"

His brow furrows and he lets out a short sound that somewhat resembles a laugh. "That is what you choose to ask?"

"I could ask which languages you speak, what training you have taken part in, it interests me not. I accept your presence because my former King wants me to and I miss people from my lands. So, do you have siblings?"