~Fourteen~

"Darian?" She waits for him to lift his head and acknowledge her. When he does her mature face softens and her plump limps twist into a smile. He stands discarding his breakfast and strides towards her. He kisses her deeply, his hands circling around her waist. She kisses him back but then lifts her hand and places it against his chest. He pulls back, sharp pale blue eyes regarding her. She sees the reluctance flicker in them for only a second. "We need to talk."

The King groans and releases her. He strides back to the table and pulls out a chair beside his. Claudette takes the signal and slides into the chair and prepares a plate of bread, eggs and ham. She waits until he sits before she pops a small amount into her mouth.

"The meeting did not go as planned. I am no longer marrying the young woman," Darian admits gruffly.

Claudette masks her surprise and chews slowly on a warm buttery mouthful of egg. "Will you be sending her back home then?"

"You have not seen your son?" Darian asks coolly. Claudette frowns and puts down the bread that she was about to bite into.

"He was not at home when I returned there and you did not speak of this last night when I saw you."

"It was not important then. His debt to me has increased."

Claudette takes a bite of the bread and takes her time before she speaks again. "That was foolish of him. It should have lessened. What has he now asked for?"

"Apart from your freedom and your daughter's?" His lips twist into a sardonic smile. "He requested more time before starting married life. He is now to marry Miss Sophia Holden. Why do you not tell him the truth? Release him while he is still young enough to recover." He chuckles afterwards knowing the idea is ludicrous.

"He is my son. When you eventually discard me then I will have him to look after me. I only require that his debt to you does not run out until that day happens. However I am not pleased with this turn of events. Why is the girl no longer suitable as Queen?" Claudette reaches out and takes the King's offered hand.

"She..."

"My King?" They both turn with derision to the guard who has interrupted them. He sharply bows before continuing quickly. "Lania has arrived and she wishes to have an audience."

"Darian..." Claudette tries to sway him but she is too slow.

"She may enter."

The attractive younger woman sashays in her eyes flicking up and down her older nemesis. "My King. I was surprised to hear from you again so soon. Has Isaiah returned?" Her wide grin is almost smug as she purposely meets Claudette's gaze and holds it. Claudette does not allow her confusion to show, knowing it will only be seen as a weakness by all parties.

"No. You are to return to your former position." He returns to eating. Claudette grits her teeth; the one good thing that had come out of Darian's new infatuation was that Lania had been cast off.

Lania stops in her steps and tilts her head slightly, long hair falling over her shoulders. "Has the future Queen died?"

His brows furrow in aggravation and he drops his knife. It is loud in the large room. Lania stands her ground, prepared if she must to grovel but not until she must. Claudette speaks quickly for him, "She is not suitable."

"The beauty spoken of across the lands, whispered about, dreamed of, she is not suitable? I thought such a man would be enviable if he had her so why cast her away now that she is here?"