~Seventeen~

The door opens before him and she frowns upon catching sight of him. "Today is the day. Why are you here?" River asks him, her tone irritated.

"How do you hear all the news cooped up here?" His annoyance rivals hers and she relaxes her shoulders, acknowledging that it is time for her to be the amiable friend.

"Navi has been to see me. Thank you for sending him," she thanks him.

"He will not have told you." She tuts at his short tone.

"I have my sources. I also venture out every now and again. In fact I am off to see our future Queen soon." She regards him for a moment before stepping back. "But I shall check on your injuries. Have you obtained any new ones?"

"No. What have you heard?"

"The King's intended who then was engaged to you is now once again the intended Queen and she wears a mask. I hear it is to protect her beauty from others and be the cause of envy amongst the King's enemies and friends alike. My sources are under that impression at least. I believe he is hiding something.."

"You are talkative today."

"Would you rather I not be? I told you to beware him changing his mind. Sit." She lifts his shirt and nods. "No infection and healing well. Why are you here?"

"The palace is filled with wedding preparations."

"You should be pleased. You completed your assignment. Your debt should have been substantially reduced. The young Lady marries a King and will never want for anything. Others would be celebrating. Unless of course you found yourself looking forward to having her as your wife and it is cruel she has been whipped away."

"I allowed myself to get to know her. She is not empty headed as reports led me to believe. She does not just wish for a rich husband who will put her on a pedestal. She wants more." Isaiah exhales slowly and moves away from her. "You wanted more than what he could offer you."

"You could not have given her more."

"I should never have agreed to any of it."

"You did it for love, your mother and sister will be grateful when they are far from his clutches."

"One life in exchange for two," he softly says.

"Three, if you count yourself."

Silence reigns.

"I already told Navi no." River sweeps a comb through her hair quickly, watching him out of the corner of her eye.

"I did not say anything," Isaiah protests.

"He asked me if I would shelter and hide her here until he could obtain safe passage for her. I refused. The King will rip apart the Kingdom should she disappear. He would find her and kill anyone involved. It would do nobody any good. There are worst fates for young ladies than marrying a King."

"I would never ask you to risk yourself. I know what it would mean."

"You should return now. I will accompany you. As I said I have an appointment with our future Queen." River stretches her mouth into something that resembles a smile but lacks the warmth.

"She knows you are coming?"

"No, nobody but you and I are aware. However it is necessary I see her." She touches his arm gently and gives it a little squeeze. "She will survive and thrive. I shall make sure of it."

□□□

Sophia caresses the rich material at her waist, tracing the floral pattern imbedded within the fabric. It fits her as if it was destined to spend the rest of its life attached to her body. Her waist is impossibly small and each breath is faint. She wishes they hadn't cinched it so tight. One way or another she knows she would still feel light headed. The neckline is modest but her sleeves rest on the edge of her shoulders making her feel as if too much is on display. No matter how she tries to arrange it she feels vulnerable.