Doctors and Hospitals

“Doctor Strange.” You greeted the doctor as you passed through the hall with malice thinly veiled in your voice.

“Doctor (l/n).” He curtly responded with equal amounts of malice.

You and Stephen Strange had always been at odds with each other. He was a neurosurgeon. You were a cardiovascular surgeon. He was an arrogant prick. You were, well, you weren’t really sure why he hated you with such a passion.

“Doctor (l/n).” A nurse ran up to you in the empty hallway, “Doctor Palmer needs you in the ER.”

“Let’s go.” You nodded and she led the way through the long hall to the ER.

✯✯✯

“How were you able to work with Doctor Strange for all of those years?” you asked quietly as you and Christine washed your hands.

“What’s with this all of a sudden?” she asked amusedly and nudged your shoulder with a knowing grin.

You shrugged, “just wondering. I’ve only known him as an egotistical man who hates my guts, so I’d like to see things from your side.”

“Well for starters,” Christine gave a small wistful sigh that you barely heard over the sound of the water hitting the metal basin of the sink, “he wasn’t as arrogant back then than now.”

“Yeah, I can see how that helps.” You muttered under your breath and dried your hands on a paper towel, “you fancied him back then.” You stated and turned to look at her, “didn’t you?”

She shrugged, “I guess you could say that.” She didn’t look entirely convince so you decided to change the subject.

You clapped your hands together, “time to go save some lives.”

✯✯✯

You yawned as you left the hospital. It was early in the evening when you got off your shift. The sun was setting and casted a bright glow that reflected off the many skyscrapers. With the threat of Kaecilius growing larger and larger, you had been training more frequently than normal, and that training was cutting in on your sleep. “Hello Daniel.” You stifled another yawn as you entered the quiet Sanctum.

“Evening (f/n).” He nodded.

“Just making sure everything’s good here.” You explained, “then I’m off to Kamar-Taj.” You tried to blink away the fatigue crawling up.

Daniel took note of your sleepiness, “are you sure you should be heading off to Kamar-Taj?” he asked in concern, “you’re a doctor. You can’t sleep on the job.”

“I was alright today.” You protested and pulled out your sling ring from your pocket. Since it was so crucial you had tied a string around the ring while the other was tied to a belt loop on your pants.

Daniel frowned, “today.” He echoed in disapproval. He shook his head at you, “you can’t keep going on like this.”

“I have to be prepared.” You continued to object.

“You’re not prepared if you’re sleeping during battle.” He argued back.

“Okay, you win.” You held up your hands in surrender, “just let me go to Kamar-Taj to inform them of what I’m doing. I wouldn’t want them to think New York is under attack.”

Daniel nodded, “sounds good (f/n). Make sure you come right back and get some sleep.” He demanded with an implied threat that he would know if you didn’t go back home to sleep and if you didn’t follow his demands you’d be in big trouble.

You smiled. You were lucky to have friends who cared so much for you, “will do.”

“Promise me.” Daniel looked at you sternly.

“I promise.” You placed your hand in front of you and drew out a circle in the air and a portal opened to Kamar-Taj.