Just a Dream

The place was silent, except for the creaking of floorboards as I crept closer to the door. There was a faint glow creeping out from underneath and, with a shaky hand, I yanked open the door. My heart was hammering in my chest, and I found it difficult to breathe.

How? Was this even possible? I gasped for breath as my heart raced faster in my chest, as my mind processed what I saw before my eyes. I knew I had a good, no great, imagination, but it's in overdrive. I just want to flee. 'Get out of there,' I kept telling myself, willing my feet to move. 'Get out of there!' I didn't know what else to do: I screamed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke in a cold sweat, my heart hammering against my ribcage, as I gasped for air. Oh, thank god. It was just a dream. Something wet fell on my forearms, and I realised I was crying. I glanced at the alarm clock on the nightstand next to the California king. 3:21 in the damn morning. Ugh, great. Another night of no sleep. I have to get up in four and a half hours to meet Joss on set, and now I can't get back to sleep. Sighing heavily, I got up out of bed and threw my robe on, making my way to the living area Tom and I shared that separated our rooms.

When I opened the door, I saw Tom in one of the armchairs with a book on his chest, fast asleep. I crept over to the sofa and sat down quietly, pulling the Marvel piece out as well as my set of paints. I'm not sure exactly how much time had passed, but I was awoken by the sound of my phone ringing, and I groggily answered it, stretching my back in the process.

"Hello?" I replied, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. I had gotten like three and a half hours of sleep, tops, and I'm sure it showed.

"Yeah, Nyssa? You sound awful this morning, like the walking dead," the voice on the other line said, laced with concern.

"Wow, Joss. You sure know the way to a girl's heart," I replied dryly, hearing a laugh on the other end. "Anyway, what's going on that you're calling so early?"

"Sorry about that. But I need you and Tom over on set at 8:00 sharp. So in exactly an hour. Got it?"

"Yessir," I laughed, hanging up. Time to wake up Tom. I pushed myself off of the sofa and towards Tom's room. I knocked first, but when I didn't hear an answer, I gently pushed his door open and glanced around. Tom was lying on the bed on his back, in nothing but his boxers. I wasn't really embarrassed because he was asleep and all, and I crept over towards his head.

"Tom, we need to be on set in an hour," I said, patting his leg to wake him. Nothing. "Tom," I called, a little louder.

"Nyssa? Is that you?" Tom mumbled.

"Yes, it's time to get up. We need to be on set in an hour," I called again, grasping his hand to drag him out of bed.

Instead, Tom pulled me down so that I was lying next to him, flush against his chest. Tom snuggled closer, wrapping his arms around me, and I realised what I was wearing. A sports bra and short shorts. I blushed and tried to worm my way out of his arms, but he didn't budge.

"Tom, Tom we need to get up. We need to be on set in an hour to meet up with Joss," I said louder, tapping his his arm.

Tom sat bolt upright and looked over at me with flushed cheeks, looking between me and himself. "We didn't, uh, you know, did we?" he stammered, blushing.

My own cheeks flushed a bright crimson as I shook my head, mumbling, "No. Not that I recall." I could have sworn I heard him utter damn under his breath, but I'm not sure. I practically fled the room to get dressed and to hide my embarrassment. Not that having sex with Tom would be bad, but having just met him less than a month ago, that makes for an awkward situation.

Once I was dressed, I made my way out to the shared living space to find Tom waiting for me, my tube containing my artwork in his hand.

"Ready?" Tom asked, holding out his arm. "Ready," I said with a smile, taking his arm graciously. This is going to be interesting.