Chapter 4: Captive of the Pirates

I came to my senses. I groaned and raised my eyelids. My vision sharpened and I managed to see everything clearly. I looked around the wooden cabin I was in, lying in a warm bed. I felt that my shoulder and hand were bandaged. They didn't hurt as much as back when that Chinese guy had stabbed me. 

I got confused - where was I? Was I safe? Had they saved us from the pirates?

I began to regain my consciousness and the ability to think straight. I easily caught a glimpse of a lot of golden and red Chinese decorative tapestry on the walls, with Chinese characters encrypted on them. A lot of  golden decorative stuff was in the room - on the walls, on the shelves, on the table... They were mainly of Chinese themes - dragon figures, tiger statuettes, and so on. But golden dragons still prevailed in quantity. On the wall were hung a black coat and a black hat, presumably the captain's belongings. Many maps, scrolls, and books lay both on the table and on the shelves. A lot of the books had Chinese inscriptions. On the bedside table, next to me, lay a black-back notebook, presumably a diary, along with an inkpot and a small ink brush.

These views got me dreaded - I was on that Chinese junk? Had the pirates truly kidnapped me?!

Shivers ran down my spine - to only think of what they would do to me... The very first thoughts that popped up in my mind were unpleasant - to just imagine what filthy men would do with a young woman! Goodness... I needed to escape!

I quickly leapt up, but the wounds stung so badly that I almost screamed, dropping back to my bed. I winced in pain. No, it was all useless - I couldn't run anywhere in this condition.

Sweat poured off my forehead. I was doomed to become Chinese pilferers' concubine?! That was how my life would end?!

I heard the wooden door creak. It brought me shivers. I glanced at it and saw a tall Chinese young man enter.

He had a brown almond eye and long raven-black hair dropping on his chest, half of it tied in a braid on the back. He wore a long red silken coat, white silken shirt, black trousers, and black boots. He had girt a golden-handled sword on his waist. Its handle resembled a golden dragon figure just like those decorations in the room.

I somehow recognized his clothing, but when he came closer and I caught a glimpse of the black patch on his right eye, I guessed - it was the exact same guy I had fought! 

Yeah, things just couldn't get any worse - I fought a single pirate and I had already become his captive. Goodness...

He probably noticed my fear and uneasiness, for he slowed his pace. He was observing me curiously. For a moment I feared that he might not even know my language, but then he spoke in his deep voice in perfect English:

"Does it hurt?"

He referred to my bandaged wounds. At least that was a relief - we could communicate and he could at least understand if I told him to get his filthy hands off me, in case of emergency. My wound indeed hurt a little, but still, I shook my head. My instincts told me I shouldn't tell him a lot of truth.

He only nodded and took a seat on the edge of my bed. After some moments of silence, he inquired:

"Your name?"

"Janette..."

"Are you afraid, Janette?"

I was indeed afraid. I feared he was a pirate, and I - a defenceless young woman. I feared I was his captive. I feared for my future which was so unclear right now. But I didn't want him to know that. I didn't want him to know he had an advantage over me.

"No."

I noticed how my voice was trembling. He probably noticed it too, because a faint smirk ran on his lips.

"Do not fear, Janette." he softened his voice. "Take a rest."

I watched how he left the cabin without any more words. That was all he said to me on that day. It was the perfect timing, for soon my eyes began drooping. Tired and weak, I fell asleep again.