Chapter 15: The Pirate Battle

It is Janette again. I've included Hong Lee's notes above because they tell of what had happened between the pirates while I was not there. I shall now continue retelling my own adventure aboard the Flying Dutchman.

After the sea demons kidnapped me, I found myself on Davy Jones' ship. I was truly terrified – I knew Jones could hold grudges, and to just imagine I had chopped his beard off some days ago! He would be furious at me, most likely.

The sea demons tied me up and presented me to their gruesome captain. He grinned through his tentacles and walked up to me.

"Lass... do ye fear death?" he asked. His eyes shone with joy as he contemplated me tremble.

"I do," I answered. "but not just any death. I fear to die without having done anything worthy in my life... which will be exactly the case if I die here."

"Oh, then ye are lucky, 'cause ye won't die here just like that." he chuckled. "Ye'll die before the eyes of your precious friends, together with them!"

My blood boiled – how he dared talk like that?! My friends would surely come and save me! Together, we would kill this damn octopus for good!

"You won't defeat us so easily!" I spat at his feet.

At such an insult as my spit, he flared up with rage and grabbed my neck with his crabby pincer.

"Now ye'll get it, lass..."

He snarled and clutched my neck with the desire to make me bleed when a tall man jumped in between us, swung his sword, and cut his arm off. It was Jack Sparrow.

"Ah!!!"

Jones roared in pain, stepped back, and clutched his torn arm. The cut pincer weakened and let go of my neck. I finally managed to breathe.

Captain Jack Sparrow covered me and pointed his sword at Jones. I had never seen him so eager to help someone. I never thought he'd be so openly willing to risk his life (because opposing Jones, who was immortal, was indeed risking one's life) for anyone, especially for the one like me, who had never shown any sympathy towards him, rather only disgust. Why did he act like such a devoted gentleman in all of a sudden?

My questions very soon got an answer and a pretty shocking one.

"Get yer hands off me daughter, Davy!" Jack glared at Jones.

I gasped in a stupor:

"Your daughter?! What the heck do you mean?"

This drunken pilferer was my father? Was he nuts?!

"I mean what I say. Get back, lass. This is not yer fight."

"Huh? Who are you to order me around?"

How did he dare give me commands? Was calling himself my father not enough of an insulting joke?

But Jones didn't let us chat so freely. He grabbed his sword and clashed with Sparrow.

"Hey! I'm talking to you!" I didn't quit, "Why the heck are you joking so foolishly? How can you be my father?"

"Ask yer captain. I couldn't believe either such a shrew could be me daughter," he answered, fighting Jones at the same time.

"Who you're calling a shrew?!"

I noticed how the sea demons attacked me. I shrieked as I was tied and weaponless and couldn't defend myself. Just then, Captain Blood Rain, his crew, and Jack's crew jumped onto the Flying Dutchman and engaged in a fierce fight.

"Captain!" 

I grew relieved once saw my captain draw the sea demons off me and protect me with his sword.

"There's no time to lose, Janette! The shark shall soon appear!"

He swung his sword and cut my ropes off. I got free and grabbed a sword which one of the sea demons had dropped, and engaged in the fight alongside Hong Lee.

"So, what the heck does this all mean?" I yelled at him to let him hear me through all that turmoil, "Jack Sparrow said he was my father, and then he told me to ask you for an explanation!"

"It is true, he is your father. I talked to him about what you said before, of how your mother Vivienne Moreau got to know your father the pirate. Jack got so shocked and frightened that I guessed something was fishy, so I plied him with questions." he parried an attack of one of the sea demons, "He finally confessed he was the one."

"It can't be..." I was dumbfounded. I chopped the head off one of the sea demons. "How can such a drunken pilferer be my father? Mother always said my father was a dignified pirate!"

"Apparently because she was too charmed by him," Hong answered, "Janette, by now you should have understood – there is no such thing as a 'dignified pirate'."

"But you are one!" I argued. We parried the attacks of furious sea demons at the same time. "You are a dignified pirate, Hong Lee! That is why I've come to love you!"

Captain Blood Rain widened his eye. A happy smile covered his face.

The sea level got high near our ships. Jack Sparrow yelled at us while fighting Jones:

"Quit yer senseless chitchat and prepare yerselves! It's coming!"

Hong and I exchanged glances. My eyes had filled with fear and determination all at the same time.

"Janette," Hong grabbed my shoulders, "Janette, it is now or never..."

"Can I... really make it?"

I was scared – a giant fish-back had already risen out of the sea, with a monstrous shark fin. I couldn't believe I was indeed capable of slaying such a monster!

"Janette, you are the chosen one." Hong smiled at me, and smote one of the sea demons behind, "You are the one to make it. I completely believe in you."

His words and his charming smile... they filled me with courage. There are times when we understand we are still women, and we need encouraging words from our beloved men to move forward... That was exactly one of those moments, and I received what I needed from my beloved one.

So I clutched my Dao blade, and once the giant shark sprang out of the water, I jumped at it and stabbed my sword into its jaws.

"Be careful, Janette!" 

Jack crossed swords with Jones, who was now truly agitated:

"No! I won't let you kill that shark!" 

Jack blocked Jones' way:

"And I won't let you ruin me daughter's work."

While the pirates had a fierce battle on the ships, the shark and I dived into the sea. I fought hard in its enormous jaws. I had made his mouth bleed, so he was trying to munch me, but I struggled hard to stay alive. I held my breath underwater and looked around the jaws to find that one little legendary tooth which held Jones' soul and the whole power.

Where's this damn tooth?

All of the teeth were so big and sharp, like giant daggers! But then, I caught a glimpse of a tiny sparkling thing amidst those giant teeth. I quickly got a hold of it.

This is it!

I clutched my Dao blade - it was now or never.