Chapter 8: Meeting Captain Jack Sparrow

This must've been the voice of Jack Sparrow. I carefully peeped out of my hiding-place and observed the four men. The two were Captain Blood Rain and his first mate Yao Lee, as I had expected. The other two, older men, were pretty interesting individuals. One was shorter than the other, with whitened hair tied back, and whitened mutton-chops beard. His eyes were sincere so that one would even doubt whether he truly served as a pirate.

The other one was taller, and truly a mess - with long dreadlocked hair full of strange trinkets attached to it, a goatee beard which looked rather ugly (at least to my taste), kohl-painted brown eyes, captain's tricorne, dirty brown coat, and tons of different clothing. One thing was clear - this man's appearance had no richness to it, unlike the other Pirate Lords I'd seen the pictures of. Still, his strange clothing would immediately distinguish him from the rest of the crowd.

Just as I caught the glimpse of those two men, I guessed the foxy voice belonged to the taller one with the captain tricorne - his eyes were full of slyness. He must be a pretty dangerous man to have affairs with.

"Captain Jack Sparrow, I've come to ask about the details of our affair," Captain Blood Rain began talking in a rather serious and gloomy tone. "Like - if we, theoretically, got our hands on such an individual as you have previously described to me, what are the next steps?"

"Aye, so you've found the girl?" Jack Sparrow grinned, uncorked a rum bottle put on the table, and took a draught.

I couldn't quite grasp his words - 'found the girl'? What did he mean?

"Not yet, I'm not sure." Blood Rain shrugged, "But still, what should we do next?"

"We shouldn't do anything mate, you should." Jack continued drinking rum. "It's all simple, really - ye go to the Shark Jaw Island where that beast lives and kill it. Then you'll save me from extra pain."

"I'm not doing this to save you from extra pain, but to get Calypso's treasure." Captain Blood Rain furrowed his brow with irritation.

"Those two can work out with the same action."

I couldn't really understand what the meaning of their words was - talking about some beasts, treasure, Shark Jaw Island... Then there was Calypso - the legendary sea goddess! What the heck was going on?

Wanting to bend a little closer and hear it all more clearly, I made a very grave mistake - my hand touched the wardrobe a little too tightly and the old furniture creaked. All four people immediately looked at the wardrobe behind which I was hiding. Sweat poured off my forehead - oh goodness, let them not come closer!

"Did ye too hear something?" Jack Sparrow glanced at the others.

"I did." Captain Blood Rain nodded.

"Me too," Jack Sparrow's first mate stated.

"I'll check." Yao Lee stood up and stepped towards my hiding-place.

No... not only this - they would find out I'd been eavesdropping on their conversation! I held my breath as if this would help me get through the peril. It was a simple instinct. It couldn't save me. Yao Lee came up to the wardrobe and looked behind it, his eyes meeting mine. He grabbed my arm and dragged me out.

I tried to struggle, too frightened - what would happen to me now?! I looked at the pirates. They were staring at me astonishedly. Blood Rain had turned even angrier than before. It gave me shudders.

"Who is she?"

Jack Sparrow, the Pirate Lord of the Caribbean, blinked in a stupor seeing me appear out of the blue. But Blood Rain didn't answer to him. He straightly addressed me in Chinese:

"Why are you here? I think I clearly said everyone was dismissed save for Yao!"

I sighed and looked down, my cheeks reddening from the shame I felt deep at heart - I had defied my captain. What was worse - he was too ruthless when it came to wrongdoers, so he would absolutely punish me. The whole punishments written in the code of conduct popped up in my mind and sent shivers down my spine. What a fool I was, thinking I wouldn't get caught!

"Is she from yer crew?" Jack Sparrow asked Blood Rain.

"Ugh, yes, she's the new recruit," Blood Rain answered, apparently still annoyed and irritated. He couldn't stand being disobeyed, especially by some newbie who was gifted life to by him (so he thought because he left me alive when I fell in his captivity). "But I guess I'll get rid of her. This type of disobedience plays on my nerves."

I had enraged him even more than I expected. Goodness... I was toast.

"Is she the one ye told me ye found?"

Captain Blood Rain flushed up:

"I told you I didn't find anyone! And I doubt she's going to make it..."

"Still, if ye left her alive then it was clearly on purpose. So, still worth a shot." Jack took another rum bottle.

This guy drinks so much... I thought.

"I can't let her get away without any punishment."

Blood Rain's words were giving me more and more shivers. I really didn't want to be punished by his methods... anything but that. However, I couldn't understand what the Pirate Lord was implying on, either. Why did they talk about girls so much? Why did they need a girl? What was that stuff they needed to do? What did they seek to accomplish?

While Jack Sparrow was still drinking rum, his first mate - the white-haired man - spoke up:

"I think Captain Jack Sparrow is right in this matter - ye must give the girl a chance. If we judge by her current behaviour - the way she sneaked into the place she was forbidden to look into - it already proves she has some traits ye're looking for."

"Aye, just what Mr. Gibbs said," Jack Sparrow attested to the words, and continued drinking rum.

"Fine..." Blood Rain shrugged, apparently annoyed that he had to go without punishing me.

"Well then, if fine, prepare yourselves, and let our next meeting be on Shark Jaw Island." Jack grinned.

Thus the discussion ended. I sighed with relief, looking at Captain Jack Sparrow and Mr. Gibbs. Those two men had literally saved my skin.

When they stood up and were going to leave, I walked up to my captain and asked:

"Wh... What is that business you needed girls for?"

"That's none of your concern. And be sure - next time you do such a thing, you won't get away with it so easily."

I shuddered and got off him immediately - he clearly wasn't in the mood to discuss the matter. Yet still, that meeting left me with so many questions that I had no option but to sneak around again in order to find out more about this mysterious affair.