Chapter 10: Battling the Flying Dutchman

"Prepare the cannons! In position!" the captain gave us orders.

I grabbed my Dao sword and took the pistol out of my pocket. I knew it was going to be a tough battle. Flying Dutchman was renowned for being a demonic ship of the oceans. It belonged to the legendary sea goddess Calypso's former lover and damned captain of the seas, ruthless demon, Davy Jones.

I knew from the tales I'd heard that Davy Jones and his crew were terrifying, but the fiends I saw once I jumped onboard the Flying Dutchman to engage in the battle, were of a completely different level: all of the crew members were monstrous, for they were demons of the sea revived from the deathly depths of the cursed waters.

Their captain was something beyond human's imagination: he had a head of a green octopus, with a lot of tentacles falling on his chest as if his beard. His hands and feet resembled those of a crab's. His blackened clothes were covered in barnacles. His eyes showed no mercy, instead flashed yellow like those of a beast's.

I was horrified. There was not much time to think - my companions had already attacked the demonic pirates. So, I engaged in the battle too and charged in a fight with one of the demons.

I could notice how our captain straightly crossed swords with Jones. It got me truly concerned - from each tale that I had heard about these demons, Davy Jones came out alive. Was there anything that could kill that guy? I wondered...

But I had to pay attention to my own battle. The demon was using the sword rather well. I had to use all of my strength and swiftness to counter him. I jumped around and dodged the demon's attacks, and then stabbed him. Alas, I found out he wouldn't die by simple stabs, even if it was in the heart.

"Hehe, ye can't kill us, lass..." he hissed, laughing at my failure, and swung his sword at me.

"We'll see about that!" I dodged, swung my Dao sword strongly, and cut his head off.

"Ah!" the demon wheezed and fell. But oh my, it began rummaging the floor in search of its head!

"Gross..." I grimaced with disgust. I attacked another demon.

All of my companions were selflessly fighting. Many of them were dying at the hands of those fiends. Some of our crewmates were trying to shoot cannon balls and damage the Flying Dutchman so it would get off us. But it didn't seem to help that much.

"Ugh, I can't believe this damn ship still exists after so many years!" I shouted. How could I possibly hold my temper when no matter how much I swung my sword these guys still stood unharmed?!

I heard Captain Blood Rain's painful cry. I spotted him be cut on the chest by Davy Jones' sword!

"Captain!"

Yao Lee rushed to help his wounded cousin. I saw Davy Jones' eyes sparkle with delight as he observed how the young man was suffering. My blood boiled up:

"Ugh, you bastardly octopus!"

Just as he was going to stab Blood Rain and finish the fallen captain off for good, I jumped in and crossed my swords with him. Yao Lee halted and blinked at me with stupefaction. I didn't think there was anything surprising, though - I was much swifter than him. It was no wonder I had made it there faster.

Davy Jones too glanced at me with the utmost astonishment and raised his eyebrow.

"Who are ye, lass? Do ye not fear death?" he asked, drops of water pouring off his filthy mouth.

"Who said you are death?"

I smirked at him, encouraging my heart to stay brave, at the same time (because as any sane person, I indeed feared I might end up dead on this beastly battlefield, all because of my benevolent heart and debt-repaying nature (for I had jumped in to help my captain in the first place because he had gifted me life before, so I felt indebted with him)). I gave a battle cry and attacked.

I had not been afraid of battles for a long time now. I'd gotten pretty used to it, so it was a good timing to fight Jones back then. If it had happened sometime earlier than that, I'm sure I wouldn't have made it out alive.

I swung my sword at full force and tried to hit the enemy. I didn't know where to strike, though - was his heart in his chest, or was it not? I'd heard many different tales - as if he was heartless at first (I don't mean ruthless. I mean literally heartless), then his heart was killed, then he vanished at the bottom of the seas, and yet here he was now, before my very eyes!

So I rather aimed at his head and tentacles. If I chopped his head off, I might at least stop him for an instance, like I did with that subordinate of his.

He turned out a fierce fighter, too. After all, he had lived and fought for maybe more than a hundred years. He swung his barnacled sword and even his tentacles as if trying to catch me with them and probably suffocate or tear me apart.

"Ugh, quit swinging that disgusting beard of yours!" I yelled with annoyance and, having learnt this move from my captain, swung my sword, then switched it in my hands, confused Captain Jones and sliced his tentacle beard off.

"Ahh!!!" he roared in pain and stepped back, slime pouring off his wounds. "Ye slut!"

He wanted to attack, but stumbled from pain and fell on his crabby peg-leg. The Flying Dutchman began to dive back into the sea.

"Guys, let's get away before this beast's beard is grown back!"

I yelled at my friends in Chinese. We immediately grabbed our hooks and, Yao Lee taking our wounded captain, hastened back to our junk.

In a mere second, the Flying Dutchman vanished to the bottoms of the sea just as mysteriously as it had appeared.