5. Failed Attempt At Peace

Days went by. It had been a week since my break down at the news that I was to be stuck in Middle Earth. I grieved, but I was determined to keep my mind off of the subject as much as I could. I decided to live my life to the fullest, focusing myself on the blessings I had. Having new friends that supported me helped a lot and I started to see that Middle Earth wasn't really so bad.

In fact, this world was quite beautiful.

Arwen had become the girly girlfriend that I much appreciate to have, and somehow I see her motherly side more and more these days–which I was so grateful for.

I and Legolas met every day at the garden, somehow it became our favorite hanging out spot together. He told me a lot about his home. I secretly enjoyed watching his face when he talked about the trees in Mirkwood. He was so passionate and he loved nature so much. Everything about him was so nurturing, calm and lively.

I thought about us as humans on Earth. All that we care about was how to take and exploit more. We destroyed and razed life around us just so we can get more. The Earth suffered so much in our hands and our technology. We were greedy.

Elves were nothing like that. They took pleasure and honor in nurturing the nature, keeping things alive and lead a simple life. Legolas didn't need to tell me, but even a crown prince like him had the utmost respect for life and living things. It was humbling and utterly charming.

We were quickly becoming close friends and I learned more and more about him, and him about me. Suddenly he was no longer this intimidating, cold and mysterious elf. He was this warm, caring and sincere person. I was and still is a shy person, yet now it was easier to talk to him.

The case was almost similar with Aragorn. While with Legolas I could be more playful, I found Aragorn as someone I really look up to, like the older brother I have never had. The ranger wasn't one to talk much or joke a lot, but it was easy to confide in him and seek for advice.

For some reason both Aragorn and Legolas understood that I was reluctant to talk about my family and I was grateful that they never pressed me on that subject.

I also got the chance to befriend the hobbits. Frodo, small and shy with the bluest eyes I’ve ever seen; Sam, loyal, gentle and sweet; Merry, pleasant, witty and intelligent; and Pippin, funny, mischievous and the most child-like between the four. Bilbo Baggins on the other hand, was old, wise and pleasant to talk to, had amazing stories to share and I marveled at how brave the hobbit was. He also loved the stories I told him and the young hobbits at our tea time, which consists of Disney’s fairytale that ranged between Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Beauty and the Beast, Hansel and Gretel, Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel. I considered telling them about Harry Potter, but the fact that it might be too dark and too long for them discouraged me.

I succeeded on having small talks with Boromir once in a while. I put an effort to suppress that lump in my throat every time I remember about his fate and focused on the fact that he was now breathing, well and smiling. From all the to-be Fellowship members, Boromir surprised me the most. He was quite a gentleman and was very pleasant, unlike what I originally expected. He wasn't judgy, tough or arrogant. I blamed the movie for that prejudice.

I managed to befriend Gimli and his fellow dwarves too. I was so nervous at first at how to approach him, since I didn’t really get his trait from the movie I once watched, and the fact that I’ve been hanging out a lot with Legolas made him hesitant and suspicious at first, but we warmed up pretty well at the topic of food. Not long after he started calling me ‘lassie’, and I knew right then that we would get along just fine.

When Legolas wasn't around, Gimli appeared to be less guarded, and I noticed how he always went out of his way to make me laugh or smile. It was sweet really. The elf mentioned earlier unsurprisingly avoided me like a plague every time I was with Gimli, and likewise Gimli to me every time I was with Legolas.