25. Eowyn's Stew

We left for Helm's Deep the next day at the first light. I knew I was going to be surrounded by countless of people and their bothersome emotions, so I prepared myself and put up the invisible veil in my mind to mute the emotions around me. I was so glad that I took the time to practice controlling my gift during my resting days. Now it paid off. I walked out and looked for my companions, my bags packed up and ready on my hand. On my way, I learned that Gandalf already left before us to try to rally the Eomer and his Rohirrim riders to Theoden King's aid.

The moment I saw the stallion and Legolas, the handsome elven prince on it who smiled politely offrring his hand to help me up, I blushed. This was surreal, as if the stories I told the hobbits about Prince Charming riding on his white horse was real. I got my prince right in front of me.

I stared at him but not taking his hand. I shook my head. 

"I'm sorry. I will walk," I said, smiling a little bit.

Legolas charming smile fell and he looked disappointed at my refusal. But then determination flashed on his expression.

"Nonsense," he said stubbornly, "You will ride with me. I am not letting you walk all the way to Helm's Deep with your injuries."

"I've never been on a horse before," I said, "Believe me, I want to ride a horse for the first time with you now. It looks like a lot of fun," I smiled at him and pattef Arod, the horse. The animal neighed happily at me.

Legolas' expression softened and he smiled at me. The smile that I loved so much that never ceased to make me blush. It was as if his eyes were telling me that I was the most precious, valued thing in his whole world.

"Then won't you ride with me, melleth nin?" he asked, smiling handsomely. A hint of amusement twinkled in his eyes as he saw me blush. I replied him with another question.

"Answer me, Legolas. If I were not here, who would ride with you and your horse?"

Legolas' brows raised at the steep change of subject, unsure of where I was going. I smiled.

"Humor me, Legolas. Just answer the question," I convinced him, batting my lashes at him playfully. To my surprise, a tinge of soft pink crept up on his pointy ears and face and my smile got wider. I didn't know I had it in me to make him blush like that. It was cute. He cleared his throat and answer flatly.

"I would ride with Gimli, since I am a better horseman than Aragorn, not to mention that the dwarf's balance on a horse is terrible."

I nodded and said, "Then you will ride with Gimli," I stated, giving him the I-know-thy-fate look, "Please?"

Understanding dawned on his glowing face. He knew that something important was going to happen and I was trying not to intervene with its path.

He dismounted Arod gracefully and looked into my eyes. Worry and uneasiness filled his eyes. I wished I could just tell him what's going to happen to ease his mind, but I knew that was not an option. I wanted to at least pulled him into an embrace, but the crowd around us was making it seem inappropriate. I opted to spoke to him instead in a barely audible voice as I clasped my hands in front of me.

"You and Gimli are going to need each other. I won't be much help to you at the state I am right now. But trust me, I can very much walk," I said comfortingly.

He was silent for a moment before responding. "Nay. Let me find you a horse so you can ride still."

"You won't find one. I looked, but all horses in Edoras are taken. Besides, I don't know how to ride," I smiled, hoping to comfort him, but worry still clouded his heart.