Chapter One

Lily

I slumped in my chair, while our teacher rambled on and on about decimals. I sighed and stared out the window at the forest beside the school. The leaves fluttered in the breeze. It beckoned to me, calling me to climb it. I stared at it longingly. I would rather be out there than in here. I had spent my childhood out there running through the trees, with my friends. Most of the people in this class I knew well and hung out with a lot. We would always be found together. Where there was one, there was always more.

“LILY!”
I jumped in my seat. The whole class was staring at me.
“Well?” The teacher stares at me
“Uh, what was the question again?”
“I asked you to answer the question on the board.” She gave me a glare.
As I strained my eyes to see the board I could hear a small ringing in my ears. It grew louder and at first, I thought it was the children playing outside, but it kept getting louder till I couldn’t hear my own thoughts. It grew steadily louder and then I knew what it was.

People screaming.

I realised I was screaming as well, but I couldn’t stop. I tried to cover my ears, but it didn’t die down. The people’s screams were of pure terror and fear. I opened my eyes, but I wasn’t in the classroom anymore. I was in a crowd of people running inland. Parents grabbed their kids and started to sprint. The ground was trembling beneath me. I could hear a roar of water getting louder. I turned around.

There was a wave taller than the Statue of Liberty was towering above me, crashing through anything in its way, swallowing cars and people. A tsunami.
“MAMMY!”
I saw a little boy and mother trying to get back together before it hit, but ate them up as well. Tears slid down my face. I was the only one not running. I closed my eyes before the wave smashed me into the ground. I felt a jolt and the screaming and roar of the tsunami disappeared, leaving just a ringing in my ears. I opened my eyes.

I was in a dark room. It seemed to pulse and vibrate. I couldn’t see more than a few steps.
“Choose…. You must choose….”
A voice echoed softly around the room.
“Who there? Show yourself!” Fear radiated from my voice.
“One to save and one to lose….”
Suddenly The light shone a bit brighter and in front of me. Two people stood there. Their eyes were closed but they still stood there facing me
“Choose…. You must choose….”
I recognized them.
“One to save and one to lose….”
The meaning of the words hit me.
“NO, PLEASE!” I cried.
“Choose…. Choose…. Choose….” It keeps repeating again and again.
“NO, DON’T MAKE ME DO THIS!”I was begging for it.
“CHOOSE…. CHOOSE…. CHOOSE….” It got louder.
I fell to my knees and started to sob.

“I can’t.”