Chapter Five

Lily

The rain poured down on us. My hair clung to my face as my tears mingled with those of the rain. My cries echoed around me as Adam started to run towards me.
“Lily! What’s wrong?” Then he saw her.
“I-Isabel?”
He fell to his knees and hugged her.
“Isabel, I’m so sorry! You weren't meant to die.” He slowly turned to me. “This your fault. You should have died instead.”
The look of hatred in his eyes made me stumble back.
“W-what?” I questioned in surprise.
“You were the one that was meant to die. You knew that she would sit at the front and you didn’t stop her. YOU SHOULD BE DEAD INSTEAD OF HER!” he roared. I shunned back from him.
“I’m sorry,” I whispered.
“SORRY ISN’T ENOUGH!” he towered over me, his figure dripping water as thunder crashed and lightning flashed behind him.
“Adam, please!”
“NO! YOU KILLED MY SISTER. GET OUT OF HERE!” He pushed me back onto the debris. I landed sideways on my shoulder, which twanged in pain. I looked up at his face. His once calm features now looked ragged and rage was written all over his face. But it was his eyes that scared me the most.  Adam’s blue eyes blazed with a cold fire. The shine of a tiger’s menace when it when for the kill.

While I was still on the ground he kicked me in the stomach. I coughed up blood. He picked up a nearby pole off the crumbled cement. He raised it above his head and smiled a psycho smile.
“I am going to enjoy hearing you scream.”
“Adam?”I stared into his eyes and I realised this wasn’t my friend. Just as the pole fell towards me, he was slammed to the side.
“What the hell are you doing!” It was Michael, who had shoved him.  Adam turned and took a swing at him. Michael jumped back before it struck.
“GET OUT OF MY WAY!” he yelled.
“It wasn’t her fault!” Julia came running, another girl from my class. She tried to wrestle the pole out of his hands, but he just hit her away. She landed beside me, coughing up blood. I tried to help her, but as I stood up something hit my legs out from under me. It was agonising and I screamed in pain when I came in contact with the ground. I tried to stand up, but my leg couldn’t support my weight and I collapsed. As I cracked an eye open, I saw Michael hit by the pole on the side of his head, and as he fell I heard Julia choke out a sob. “MICHAEL!”. She rushed to his side.
“Please leave him alone!” she begged Adam.
“I will not kill him, he has done nothing, but if he or anybody get in my way again I will not be so forgiving.” He turned away from Julia and laid his shadowed eyes on me.
“Now, to end you,” he said as if he was stating the weather.
I managed to get on my feet and started to limp away, but Adam was faster. The rain was making the wreckage slippy, and I was struggling not to fall. I climbed over a pile of metal and broken plaster when I came to the edge of town. Beside it was the forest I spent my childhood in, strangely undamaged. I didn’t think much of it at the time. Suddenly I came to the cliff that surrounded the village. The only way you could get up or down here was with a helicopter. Below, I could see a flat landscape that would shatter all my bones if I fell.

The sound of metal being dragged broke the silence. I whirled around. Adam watched sparks come off the pole as he pulled it behind him. He looked up and smiled. I took a step back from him, right on the edge as pebbles fell down. There was nowhere left to run. I looked up to his eyes.
“Finally, you will get what you deserve. ” He smiled. I realised he was right. It had been my fault. I didn’t know why I had run if I knew I should have died instead of Isabel. She had family left, and I did not.
“I should have killed you I that classroom. ” Adam took a step toward me. I didn’t move. He leaned close to me and whispered into my ear.
“I hope you die a slow, painful death, to pay for the pain you caused me.”
Everything happened in slow motion. He put a hand flat on my chest and pushed me over the cliff.

I didn’t cry. I didn’t scream. I just looked into Adam’s eyes as I sailed back through the air. The wind whipped my hair into the face as I watched him turn around and walk back the way he came. I closed my eyes and imagined bright blue skies and a green meadow. I saw Isabel in front of me, a few metres ahead. Tears welled in my eyes, and I ran to her. When I reached her, she engulfed me in a hug.
“Everything will be okay. One day, you will join me. But not today.” she said.

Then everything went black