Chapter Two

Adam

Mrs Bigelow was explaining how we were going to use decimals when we are older, but I wasn’t listening. I nudged Isabell, my sister, and said,
“This is so boring, do you want to get out of here?”
“Yeah, I’m falling asleep.”
Suddenly Mrs Biglow called Lily, who sat beside me. She jumped and her eyes refocused.
“Well?” Mrs wasn’t happy
“Uh, what was the question again?” I could almost hear Mrs Bigelow's eye roll.
“I asked you to answer the question on the board.”
Lily looked up at the board to see the question. As her eyes scanned it she winced and put a hand up to her ear. She looked outside to the playground below, but there was no one there.
“Lily, are you ok?”I leaned over and asked. She either ignored me or didn’t hear me.
Suddenly She started to scream. Lily fell out of her chair and covered her ears, I jumped off my chair and ran to her side, as did Isabel. She was still screaming and tears were running down her face.
She opened her eyes and they were a glowing silver instead of her usual brown ones.

“Lily?” I held her hand.
“NO, PLEASE!” She tried to pull away from me.
“Lily, it’s just me, Adam. ” I tried to comfort her.
“NO, DON’T MAKE ME DO THIS!” She begged.
Then I felt it. A small tremor in the ground, little stones bounced up and down. It got stronger till books were falling off the shelves. Lily was still sobbing into my shoulder. Mrs Bigelow was looking out the window, speechless. Suddenly she started to scream and ran out of the room and down the stairs to get outside
“Oh. My. God.” I turned around. Michael, my best friend, was staring out the window as well.
“Look after her,” I said to Isabel and walked over to the window.

“Oh, Jesus.” My heart froze and then quickened.

There was a huge wave crashing towards us, looming on the horizon. It crushed civilians and houses alike. Everyone was running, but the tsunami was faster. Their screams could be heard from here.

It would hit us in a few minutes.

“Okay, everyone stays calm, turn the tables on their side. We can use it to soften the impact!” I started to command, the fear growing in the pit of my stomach. Everyone followed and started to pile the tables as I ran back to Lily and Isabel.
“Lily we have to move you!” I told her.
As I was lifting her she held onto Isabel’s hand, not wanting to let go.
“I’m so sorry. I had to choose. Please forgive me.” Then she fainted, her arm swinging by her side. Isabel looked shaken.
“We’ll get through this,” I said to her.
“What if we don’t?” She looked up at me with tears brimming in her eyes
“We will.” I gave her the best hug I could while still holding Lily.
“Thanks, Adam,” Isabel said to me, wiping away her tears.

“Come on. We have to get in.” The others had built a pyramid of tables and chairs, the point facing the oncoming wave. I hoped it was enough. Everyone was already in it. I lay Lily at the back and most protected place. The tremor was shaking everything and it was difficult to walk. I sat down beside her and called to Isabel to sit down with me.

“There’s no space there. I’ll just sit in the row in front of you.” She said.
“But that's not as safe. I’ll go there and you can go here.” I didn’t want her to die because of me.
“I’ll be okay.”
“Quick, it's coming.” It was about ten seconds away. She jumped in and curled into a ball. She turned her head towards me, held onto my hand and said;

“I love you. Never forget that.” Isabel stared into my eyes. Then I heard the rush of water and everything went black.