Chapter Eleven

// Artwork from https://stayinwonderland.deviantart.com/art/Ship-in-a-Storm-734063140 //

"20 degrees to the right," I yelled, "Then 10 to the left after passing this rock."

The storm was raging. I was holding on to the railings as I was guiding Lars. There were jagged rocks everywhere - some small enough that we had to accept some damage and run into them to avoid more deadly ones.

I continued to yell orders as we navigated through the deadly terrain. 

"Oh no," I mumbled, Lars obviously not hearing me. 

There was upcoming rocks on either side, but the lifeboat on the left would hit the rock and could cause the ship to tilt into a mass of razor sharp rocks. If the lifeboat wasn't there though, we would make it through. 

Not having time to explain, I grabbed the Captains pistol from his waist and bang, shot the ropes that were holding the boat up. I heard a splash as well as yells from Lars. If I was going to save this ship, I would have to take matters into my own hands. I grabbed the wheel and kept it straight and steady, despite the violent rocking of the boat. I was on the other side of the wheel, facing away from the front of the ship, but I knew this was the way to get us through the two rocks. 

"Let go!" Lars yelled, obviously impatient with my lack of explanation. 

"Trust me!" 

My knuckles were white as I gripped the wheel as tight as I could. I saw the two rock pass the ship by - we successfully made it through. Then, it was over. The sea calmed and the rocks became sparse. 

With confusion clouding my mind, I looked up at Lars. His eyes were wide. He was looking right past my shoulder, then his eyes flickered to mine with a hint of a smile. I turned around. 

It was magnificent. Right before our eyes was a beautiful cove. I had no doubt in my mind that we had found it. We found Atlantis. 

"Get ready to lay anchor, sailors!" Lars yelled, grinning ear to ear.  

I ran down to the front of the ship and studied the cove before us. There was beautiful white sand and even a few palm trees decorating the land. When we anchored, me and Lars were the first ones down. The water felt warm on my ankles as I approached the cove. 

"There seems to be an entrance over there," Lars said and pointed to what looked to be a cave. 

"Do you have the ruby?" I asked. 

"Yes," Lars said warily. 

I could hear the nervousness in his voice. Did the ruby make him nervous? 

"Let's go open the doors to Atlantis," I said and took a deep breath. 

Lars had ordered the crew to stay back until we went to get them since we had no clue what to expect. That was the thing that made me nervous. 

We entered the cave to find a small swim hole with crystal blue water and a big stone wall. 

"It kind of looks like a dead end," I grimaced. 

"That's what they want us to think,"Lars said, "Here." He passed me the ruby.

I took it in my hand and looked down at it, not really sure what else to do. I couldn't help but feel awkward - I think we both knew what was coming. 

"So what does your notes exactly say, my Father's journal didn't say much about this part," I said. 

"Well, your supposed to do your little mermaid thing, and supposedly the door is supposed to open. We have to open it from the water though, so I'm not sure how that's gonna work," He said. 

My heart pace quickened. Yup, this was going to be really awkward. 

I breathed in, "Okay. You ready?" I said, stepping in front of Lars. 

We were just near the edge of the water. I was facing away from the water, facing Lars. 

Lars looked even more nervous now. This was a strange emotion on him - he always looked so put together. 

He nodded. I started to sing. 

Lars looked at me with determination as if trying to resist my song. I started to drag him into the water while singing. He looked like he was still himself - his eyebrows creased with uncertainty. Then his blue eyes suddenly glazed over. That familiar, but strange look of longing filled his features. Despite the uncomfortable feelings that were beginning to invade me, I kept singing. I now almost didn't even have to keep dragging him deeper into the water, he was following me with ease. He kept getting closer, and closer. Then something started to happen... the water around me started to glow. We were now waist deep. What the hell?

My legs started to tingle and the water around me began to swirl. I wanted to stop - but I kept going. Until my vision suddenly went black. 

Someone had grabbed me and put a cloth over my head, "We got her! We got the siren!" A harsh voice yelled. 

I screamed as loud as I could hoping that it would bring Lars back from his daze. I tried to struggle but the man who held me was so strong. Too strong. 

I dropped the ruby into the sand, "Lars!" 

I knew I had made a terrible mistake when I heard no response from Lars. 

I shouldn't have dropped the ruby.

// This was a shorter chapter again, but I hoped you like it!

What do you think will happen to Lee? Why do you think she didn't hear a response from Lars? //