Chapter 31 part 1

Chapter 31

Her ashes were gone, but the tang of Nadine's burned flesh still drifted in the air.  Others might not recognize it, but Harold had smelled enough burnt bodies to know it, even from a trace in an old building like this, buried in the odors of oil and dust.

Jared stepped in beside him and pointed to the center of the room.  There were more people tied up on folding chairs at the far end of the room, just like Nadine had been.  Six of them, all kids, all black.  He knew Jared had something against black people.  He didn't really understand why.  They weren't any worse than other people.  To Harold, pretty much everyone ignored him or looked down on him, or had until Jared had become his friend.

He still wasn't sure what that meant, or how it had happened.  Harold hadn't trusted Jared since the man had found him.  He had been looking for someone to make fire bombs, and had soon brought Nadine with him.  Harold hadn't liked that.  But then yesterday, for the first time, Jared had seemed to understand, and had wanted to know how things felt for Harold.

He had wanted so many times to show his gift to someone, to tell someone about it.  And Jared had said it was amazing. 

Jared had also said that friends help each other.  Harold could do that, especially if Jared was going to help him get Jessica.  "You want me to burn them?"

Harold jumped when Jared put a hand on his shoulder.  He wasn't used to that, didn't think that he really liked it.  But maybe friends did that.  "No, Harold.  They're just bait.  Save your talents for the bad guy."  Jared paused, looked at the six captives.  "What do you need to get him, Harold?"

The question didn't really make sense.  Harold didn't need anything.  But maybe that wasn't what Jared had meant.  "I...I just need to see him."

"Will that window over there do?"  Jared pointed to a dirty window on the side of the building.  "I want to keep you safe."

"I think so," Harold said.

Behind them, the door rumbled open another foot and four men came in.  They each carried some kind of small machine gun.  Harold didn't know what kind they were.  He had never cared about guns.  But if he reached out, he could feel the fire that was trapped inside each bullet, in the gunpowder.

It felt eager to explode into life.  It had so much potential, it would be easy to let it out.  That would feel good, but it wouldn't help Jared.

Harold looked away from the guns, back to his friend.

Jared nodded at him and turned to the four men.  "Remember your instructions.  Do your work here on them.  We'll alert you when the target is spotted.  When he enters the building, do not engage.  He is dangerous.  Do not underestimate him.  We will be right on his heels."  He patted Harold's shoulder again.  "Harold will take care of him.  Just stay clear.  Understood?"

The four men nodded, slung their guns onto their shoulders and started toward the tied-up children.  Harold wasn't sure what they were going to do.  What work did Jared want them to do?

"Come on, Harold."  Jared started out the door and Harold followed after him.  They were silent as they walked back to the truck.  Harold looked all around.  The streets were deserted.  The empty lot next to the building was dotted with tufts of dried brown grass that poked up through the broken concrete.  He thought there should be some people around, but there weren't any at all.

The green truck was a few blocks away, on a side street.  They climbed inside and Harold fidgeted on the seat.  He could see the empty lot through the windshield, but not the building where he'd burn the man.