c2

Chapter 2 • The Quiet

Nick handed me a tray with a plate packed with waffles, another plate filled with fruits, a smaller plate with pastries, a glass of orange juice, and a glass of water

My mouth watered at the sight of this, and I thanked him before digging into the waffles.

He sat on the chair next to my bed and watched silently as I devoured the food. Was he always this quiet?

"This is delicious," I complimented in an attempt to start a conversation.

"Thanks," he said. "It's one of Mother's secret recipes."

"She's a great cook,"  I complimented.

"Was," he corrected, and a flash of hurt ran through his eyes, but his stony expression remained. He clenched his hands into a fist, and my eyes widened.

"Sorry," I apologized quickly. "I didn't-"

"It's okay," he intervened while standing up. "Enjoy."

"Wait," I called out as he rushed to the door. He stopped and turned to me. "Please, stay."

"Why?" he asked.

"I wanna talk," I answered.

He went back to his seat and sat in silence.

After moments of silence, I nervously said, "So..."

"Stop," he exhaled while shaking his head.

"W-what?" I frowned.

"I know you're afraid of me," he announced. "Stop pretending you're not."

"I-okay," I nodded in defeat. "I still wanna talk about the accident though."

"It wasn't an accident," he grunted as his hands tightened into a fist again.

"What happened?" I asked, but he shook his head in response.

"I don't wanna talk about it," he mumbled.

"Okay," I replied while eyeing his fist.

He unclenched it quickly, and his face softened. We stared at each other in silence before he angrily stood up and left the room.