Slice of a Story [293 Words]

(Unedited, watch out for bad grammar.)
ABOUT A GIRL AFRAID OF FALLING UP...

My hands grip the door frame, knuckles turning white. The picket fence looks so far away. Between the doorway and the fence is the sky. I look up at it's menacing depths. Atmosphere that just goes on and on. And somewhere out there is space. A cold and infinite black void without oxygen.

The driveway is empty, my aunt's rusty old truck is absent. I don't remember what time she left this morning. I wish she was able to drive me to school on my first day. I'm way too nervous to take the bus. I'll have to walk. My eyes dart around. The street is eerily quiet.

The only sign is a twitch of my fingers before the world tilts and I fall along the sidewalk. I reach out and grab the fence. I stop, then land on my side on the concrete. Standing, groaning, rubbing my aching ribs. I begin the walk to school. My hand trails along the hedge. I know if I was to fall the plant's weak branches would not help me, but still they are reassuring.

The hedges stop. I take a couple steps, stomach turning. A lump in the back of my throat threatens to choke me. I walk unsteadily over to a telephone pole. My phone goes off. I pull it out of my pocket. A text from Aunt Joan.

Have a good first day of school!

She even put a smiley face after it. Why? The first day of school is the worst.

I can see the school just up ahead. A bleak brick building with people milling around it. Like ants around a tiny ant hill. I hate ants, and I also hate people. I think the analogy of it is very fitting.