Unfinished Story #1.0

(Unedited, watch out for bad grammar.)
ABOUT A HUMANOID CREATURE CREATED BY SCIENTISTS...

Everyday, at the same time, they come. When the short hand on the clock points at the twelve the door opens. People wearing white lab coats and gloves walk in, some carrying clipboards and strange equipment. They come up to the glass and point, talk, and take notes. Then they choose who will be taken. Then they move one of use into a metal cage and leave. Sometimes the ones who leave don't come back. I don't know where they go.

The clock ticks. I wait, deviating from watching the clock to watching the door. The long hand on the clock moves. There is only a few of the little lines left until the short hand reaches the top. None of the others know this. They don't seem to understand that the clock shows when the humans will arrive. They just know they come every day, without fail. The clock ticks.

I wish the others could talk, like Emilia. She used to come during her break, and sit in a chair across from me, on the other side of the glass. She always talked to me. I didn't every say anything back. Maybe that's why she doesn't visit anymore. She must spend her breaks doing other things. Does she not like me anymore?

The clock ticks. The door swings open and people rush in. There are more than usual. I can hear their voices faintly through the glass as they walk around the room. A couple humans I don't recognize walk over and peer at me from the other side. They must be new. Their nametags are different. I try to hear what they are saying, but I don't want to move closer. People make me nervous.

"So, are you going to the presentation later?" The girl asks the boy standing next to her.

"Of course. One of the scientists is going to give a demonstration on how to program genes. One of the experiments are going to be on display there, too."

"That's cool. Do you know which one?"

The boy shakes his head. They scan the different cages and enclosures in the room. Then the boy looks back at me. "They should show this one. It's probably the best one here."

"How intelligent do you think it is?" The girl asks.

The boy flips through the papers on his clipboard and pulls one off. "This is the only information it. It says that it was created by Dr. Emilia Arton. Do you know who that is?"

The girl thinks for a moment. I listen closer. "She was the founder's daughter. Didn't she die of cancer last year?"

I'm shocked. Dead? Emilia is dead? I realize the two people are looking at me, somewhat sad looks on their faces. The girl turns to the boy. "Do you think it knows?"

The boy shrugs. She rummages through her bag and pulls out a mirror, then combs her fingers through her brown hair. I look at the mirror and see something standing behind her. It looks almost human, but at the same time it doesn't. It has thin limbs covered in pale grayish brown skin, and large white horns on it's head. Dark brown eyes stare into mine. I realize it's my reflection. So that's what I look like?

When I notice the two humans are watching me I freeze. The girl holds up the mirror so I can see myself better. I look down at my large clawed hands and pull at my short black hair. Then the girl puts the mirror back in her bag.

"What else do you have in there?" The boy asks. "I want to see the experiment's reaction to it."

The girl nods her head and after a moment of searching she takes out a cube. It's covered in many different colors. She slides it through one of the circular openings in the glass. I do nothing. The boy pulls it back out and holds it up, looking at me. Then he twists the cube so the colors move to a different side. I watch as the colors all match up on one side.

The girl looks impressed. "You're good at it."

"Thanks."

He mixes up the colors again and pushes it through the hole so it's on my side of the glass. Then he uses his pencil to move it a bit closer to me. I take a step back, unsure. When they don't do anything I dare to move closer to the colorful object. When I'm close enough I grab it with my hand and move further away from the glass. The two humans watch with rapt attention.

I twist the block in my hands. My curved fingers make it a bit hard to do so. I get blue all on one side but mess it up again. I look up and see that three more humans have joined the two watching me. It makes me nervous and I almost drop the cube. By the time I twist the last piece into place there are more than twelve people watching me. A lot more, but I can't count higher than twelve. I drop it on the ground and hide inside a large cardboard box near the wall.