Unfinished Story #2.0

(Unedited, watch out for bad grammar.)
ABOUT A GIRL WITH WINGS & SOME OTHER PEOPLE...

Jessy

My name is Jessy Brunner. I'm sixteen and I live with my dad and three siblings (two brothers and one sister, all equally annoying). We own a crammed two-bedroom apartment. My dad's a busy guy. He takes care of all of us and works two jobs. He's hardly ever home, but he's the best dad ever, and he deserved better than our mom. She left when I was six and left behind only bad memories and a jar full of money.

It's Saturday and Dad doesn't have to go to work until two o'clock. I walk into the kitchen to eat breakfast. Dad is sitting at the table, typing on the laptop (provided by the company he works at so he can do work online when he's at home).

"Anything interesting?" I ask him.

"Just stories. People claiming their dogs were abducted by aliens. One lady is saying she saw a girl with wings."

I pour cereal into a bowl and sit down. "Huh."

"Exactly," Dad says, acting as if I had actually said something. He chugs the rest of his coffee and reaches behind him to drop it in the sink. The clicking of computer keys and the crunching of cereal fills the silence. Then Dad stands up from the table and goes out on the porch, the screen door slamming behind him.

The front door opens and Devin, my older brother, swaggers in. His hair is slicked back and he's wearing an ironed shirt. He must have had a job interview, or a date, though the latter is very unlikely.

To prove my point he belches loudly, before giving me a crooked smile. "Did you get your costume yet?"

"What?" I ask, confused.

He rolls his eyes. "Halloween's tomorrow. You can't go door to door without a costume."

"You said last week you would take me to buy one," I point out. I add my bowl to the dirty dishes piling up in the sink.

"Well, get in the car." Devin walks out of the kitchen.

I follow, getting in the passenger seat. My nose scrunches up as I am met with the stench of greasy fast food and old shoes. Devin turns the car key. The engine coughs and sputters. It makes a loud noise that a car engine definitely shouldn't make. A black cloud comes out of the exhaust pipe. Devin tries to start it a couple more times before he wipes his face with his hand and sighs loudly.

"Looks like we'll have to take it to the shop again, but at this rate it would be cheaper to just buy a new car."

Angelica

Someone knocks on the bathroom door.

"Angelica!" A squeaky voice shouts from the other side.

The knocking continues.

"Go away, Emma!"

I check to make sure the door is locked, then I go back to looking in the mirror. I tie my golden blonde hair up. Then my mom yells up the stairs for me to stop hogging the bathroom. I groan but open the door so my mom will stop yelling. It works. I skip down the stairs two at a time, almost tripping over the black and white cat at the bottom.

I sit down on the couch and grab the remote. The TV turns on to the news. My eyes widen as I see a woman in her fifties or sixties on the screen, her hair pulled into a knot on her head, just like it was when I last saw her. I turn up the volume to hear what she is saying.

"... And the girl had wings."

That old witch had been spying of me! Jeez, I hope no one believes her. When I was a baby feathers sprouted on my back, and now I have two wings.

Jessy

A group of little kids walk past me, pillow cases heavy with candy. As I walk farther down the street the number of street lights slowly decreases. The wind makes the bushes on the nearby hedges rustle, and leafless bare branches reach out like hands. It makes me think of a horror movie.

The unsuspecting person walking down a dark and empty road, unaware of the horrifying creature lurking behind the trees.

Suddenly, hands grab me from behind. I spin around, coming face to face with a shadowy figure dressed in black. A punch to the gut has me doubled over before I can even try to run. A strong shove sends me to the ground where I hit my head. Then I pass out.

Angelica

The car drives down the highway. I look out the window. The car passes a red pickup truck, a white car, and then a van. In the seat in front of me Aunt Maria was asleep. I thought woman didn't snore, but she sounds like an airplane. In the seat next to her is my mom, who is driving. Her phone goes off and her eyes leave the road to look at it.

Bright headlights shine through the windshield, making me squint my eyes.