3| The Talk

"So, how was your swim?" I asked, tugging a piece of her dark locks that were still wet from the pool.

"It was fine," Natalie shrugged, readjusting her gym bag that hung on her shoulder. "How's your music going?"

I'm failing miserably.

"Not gonna lie, it could be better," I said glumly.

"Could be better?" she questioned, looking up at me with a raised brow. "In what way? Didn't you make it to the next level of that 'Writing the Stars' competition thingy?"

"It's 'Written In The Stars'," I laughed, draping an arm around her shoulder. "And yeah, I did...but, that was because the judges loved 'Locked Away'. For this round, they want us to write a brand new song and document our process. So far, I have nothing but a few chords."

Her eyes widened and she stopped walking, turning out of my hold with a smile hidden behind the hand she covered it with.

"What?" I questioned, amused by her.

"You submitted 'Locked Away' as your entry song!? Riley! That's so cool!" she cheered.

"It's my best work," I smiled, even though it was written during a time of heartbreak. "Too bad I can't seem to top it."

From the sad smile she gave me, I knew she was thinking about the same thing. Almost two years ago, a week after Drew and Natalie started dating, I sang 'Locked Away' for the first time in front of an audience--in front of her. I wrote it for her.

It was my way of expressing my feelings--that I had fallen for her in more ways than one, but that I knew I was too late. I had waited too long to make it clear that I liked her as more than just a friend, and in the end, I missed my chance. That song voiced that she was a crush I was locking away, because I didn't want to lose her. I wouldn't let my feelings wreck us, and I'm so glad they didn't.

She was one of my favorite people, and closest friends. I'd rather have her in my life, than not at all.

"You're an amazing songwriter, Riley Baker," she stated, holding up a stern finger in my direction as she squinted her eyes. "Keep talking trash about you, and I'll be forced to shove that guitar so far up your-"

"Woah! Woah! Hey!" I said, raising my arms in surrender. "That won't be necessary, Nat. I'll be good."

She tried to fight the smile forming on her lips, but it broke through, causing her to shake her head.

"What am I gonna do with you?" she chuckled under her breath.

"Well," I began, knowing I had to get to the point of my visit. "You could talk to me."

I felt her gaze on the side of my face as I looked forward, getting us to start walking again.

"Talk about what?" she asked, fidgeting with her fingers.

"You know what, Nat. You broke up with Drew," I stated, voicing the fact.

I watched as her face fell, her eyes watching the light pavement beneath us.

"He called you," she pieced together.

"He called you, too, but you didn't answer," I pointed out.

She took in a sharp breath before exhaling, suddenly looking drained.

"Just go talk to him, Nat. He's falling apart and it's barely been a full day."

"I can't," she said, covering her face with her hands, not even worried about walking into someone.