4| The Plan

"Do it."

"No."

"Do it," he said stronger than the first.

"No. Drew, I'm not doing this," I argued, looking at him like he was crazy.

"Riley, would you just-"

"I'm not gonna run you over with my car!" I shouted, gaining the attention of the people around us.

Drew was standing in front of my Tahoe, asking me to mow him down. And he wasn't joking.

"She's not coming back to me, man!" he yelled, his eyes bloodshot. "You heard what she said! In one moment, I ruined everything! Just end me now!"

"Will you stop being so dramatic!?" I complained through my open window.

"I'm not being dramatic. I'm  depressed."

"You're being pathetic," I said, laying my forehead against my steering wheel. "How are you going to win her back if you're dead?"

"She's better off without me," he moped.

This kid. Seriously.

"That's it!" I yelled, turning my car on. "You really want me to run you over?!"

"Yes, please!"

Shaking my head, I revved up the engine, keeping my eyes on my stupid friend before pressing on the gas. As soon as the car jumped forward, I hit the brakes, stopping about a foot in front of him.

"What the hell, dude!?" Drew exclaimed, his eyes huge and mouth gaping open. "You almost hit me!"

Sigh, the things I do for brotherhood.

Sticking my head out my window, I deadpanned, showing no signs of amusement because there were none.

"Shut up and get your butt in my car!" I shouted.

Seeing that I wasn't kidding, Drew quickly rushed to the passenger side door and hopped in, awkwardly staring at me once he was buckled in.

When I didn't say anything, choosing to drive in silence, he spoke up.

"I think that-"

"Shut it," I interrupted.

"What, why-"

"Hush."

"Riley-"

"Nope."

"Are you kidding-"

"I don't want to hear it!" I said loudly, talking over him. When he kept trying, I just resorted to speaking gibberish until he finally gave up.

Resting his elbow on the door, he leaned his head against the window, staring out if it. That's when I decided to say something.

"Out of all the things I told you she said," I began. "You took in everything but the most important part."

Puzzled, Drew looked at me like I had an answer he desperately needed.

"She still loves you," I made clear. Despite the glum way Natalie spoke about what happened with Drew, it was evident that the love was there—not gone, just bruised.

It seemed like he was holding his breath, so I said it again to reiterate my point.

"The girl you love, still loves you. So, unless you say something along the lines of how you're going to fix things, I don't want to hear another word from you," I finished, satisfied with my little speech.