5| The Honesty

Right now, I was sitting in my car, watching as Drew walked up the steps to a large, pale yellow house, holding the...unique...gifts he bought. With a few girls scattered along the wrap-around porch in their pajamas, I could tell this was a sorority house. But, as much as I didn't mind the view, I had something more important to look at, so, tearing my gaze away from them, I paid attention to the familiar girl opening the front door.

I couldn't really hear what she was saying, but by the look on her face, she wasn't exactly happy. And, judging by Drew's growing dejected posture, it wasn't the reaction he was hoping for. Because of this, I found myself looking away, not able to witness the meeting any longer. Instead, I mindlessly drummed my fingers against the steering-wheel, humming the new melody I came up with a few nights ago.

You said it's a crazy stupid dare, and you probably wouldn't care, but-

The sound of my passenger door opening jerked me out of my head, but instead of Drew getting in, I saw Natalie. Looking through her black, circular-rimmed glasses, I could see the sadness in her hazel brown eyes.

I was about to ask her if she was okay, but she spoke before I could.

"Why did you bring him here?" she questioned softly, her stare holding mine and leaving me with nothing to do but answer.

"Even if I didn't, he still would've came."

Sighing, she leaned her head back on the headrest, closing her eyes in the process. Looking out the window and back at the house, I could see Drew trying not to watch us the whole time. No doubt, he was stressed and going crazy with fear of what we were talking about.

Calm down, buddy. I got you.

"Nat, I need you to be honest with me, now, before he gets hurt." I began, fully aware I was tredding on dangerous territory, but it needed to be done, for both their sakes.

By now, she was looking at me again, anxious of what I might say, but clearly willing to answer truthfully.

"What is it?"

"Do you think you'll ever forgive him?" The second the question left my lips, her face winced, but I pressed on. "Because, I love you both, and want nothing more than for you two to work things out, but...I also love him too much to just sit back and let him fight a battle he's already lost. I won't do that—not even for you."

"I would never ask you to do that, Riley," she whispered, her mind obviously in knots that I was tightening with my words.

"I know...just, if you're really done with him, you've got to make it plain, or he'll never give up."

Biting her bottom lip, she looked out the window at the guy pacing her front porch, his arms crossed and eyes honed in on the ground. The car was utterly silent for a moment, until I heard a sniffle coming from the beautiful girl beside me.

"Nat—"

"I don't want to be done with him," she said heartbreakingly soft, her eyes glossy as she looked back at me. Her small nose was turning pink, along with her cheeks as she began to cry. "God, Riley! I don't want us to be over! I feel like he's the best thing that ever happened to me!"

"Then, tell him that," I pressed, motioning for her to do it, now.

"I can't!"

"Why not?"

Wiping her face off, she looked back out at Drew. "Because."

"Because what, Natalie?" I knew she knew the answer, she was just struggling to find the words to explain it.