Chapter 3: I blame you

Kevin panted as he rounded his third out of five laps, his freckled face had sweat dripping down the side of his head.

His throat was starting to hurt and he was starting to feel tired which was rather odd for him. Usually he would be finished with his running and already be on the benches waiting for the rest his friends to finish up there own.

The reason for his peculiar slowness today? A certain black beanie wearing boy who had almost always gotten out of running laps with a medical note. Kevin would find himself slow down just to catch a better glimpse at the boy who had perched himself at the top of the bleachers his face buried in some type of medical of science book.

Kevin couldn't help but notice the way Double D's eyes seemed to glistened as he scanned the new information the book had to offer him. Kevin's movements almost stopped all movements at the sight of Double D's lips lifting up into an adorable smile showing off the small gap in his teeth.

"Kevin you...alright?" Nat asked breathlessly as he desperately attempted to catch up with Kevin.

"I'm doing fine Nat just a little hungover" Kevin coughed as he picked up his pace leaving behind a groaning and panting Nat.

"Yeah that must be it" He thought glancing back at Double D.

Looking up from his book Double D felt his eyes drift off towards Kevin.

He felt his face heat up at the sight of the baseball player. He wore a loose sagging white tank top and a pair of black basketball shorts, the school did provide P.E uniforms but most students found it much more comfortable to wear their own work out clothes.

"Alright everyone hit the showers and head off to your next class!" The gym coach yelled out as he loudly blew her whistle.

*

*

*

"Hey Sockhead could you take your face outta that damn book for a minute?" Eddy groaned as he flicked the back of his friend's neck.
With a sigh Double D shut his school science book and glanced at Eddy who had been obnoxiously tapping his pencil against his desk.

"Yes Eddy what may I assist you with?" Double D questioned with a small smile.

The Ed's don't usually have the same classes together considering Double is at such a high level. So in the few classes the three do share ,science, PE, and English, they usually take the time they can to catch up with one another.

"Are you feeling alright? You've been drifting more than usual today" Eddy pointed out.

"Oh have I? Apologies if I worried you but I am  feeling fine" Double D reassured with a chuckle.

"Bulllll" Eddy dragged out the word as he lazily tossed a crumpled up piece of paper at the beanie wearing boy. Shrugging Double D directed his attention back to his book.

Eddy was right though. Something was feeling off about Double D, his head had been feeling fuzzy all day and he hadn't been able to really focus as much as he usually does on his class assignments.

"Hmm actually Eddy I think I need a break it's getting warm again" Double D mumbled as he raised his hand signaling for a bathroom break.

"Want me to come with and guard the door?" Eddy suggested as his friend stood up from his desk.

"I'll be fine without your assistance Eddy, thank you though" Double D smiled as he quickly took his leave towards the restroom. Double D sighed as he adjusted his beanie cringing at the feeling of sweat through his hair.

Slipping into the restroom Double D locked the door behind after glancing around to make sure nobody else was in there with him. Double D reached into his pocket and pulled out his black handkerchief and walked towards one of the sinks and turned on the cooling water.

Double D's eyes never strayed away from the sink in hopes to avoid looking at himself in the mirror as he slowly slipped off his beanie. Slipping his fingers through the long dark locks atop his head Double D gently yanked them out of the loose rubber band he usually kept it in.

"Perhaps I should have it cut?" He thought to himself as he wet his handkerchief and started to dab it against the back of his head sighing at the refreshing cold feeling.

When the weather became warmer this was a usual routine for Double D. Locking himself in a bathroom and try to cool off.

As Double D continued to dampen his head with the handkerchief his thoughts drifted off to a certain red headed baseball player and what had happened between them the night before.

"O-Oh dear" Double D whispered to himself as he felt his face heat up at the memory of their time in the closest. They way Kevin's lips felt against his own, the tingly feeling in his stomach when Kevin had wrapped his arms around him.

"Silly dare, silly, silly dare" He groaned tugging his beanie back onto his head as the bell rang out through the school.

***

"Hey Kevin don't you have practice today?" Nat asked leaning against the locker besides his cousin's.

Kevin shook his head as he crammed his unneeded gym bag into his locker before slamming it shut. The two started to walk down the hall along with plenty of other students excited to finally be free from school.

"No not today coach's wife had a kid or some shit so there trying to find a temporary coach till he gets back" Kevin explained with a shrug. In all honesty Kevin was sorta glad he could get out of practice today, all he wanted to do after school was crash on his bed and sleep everything off.

Rounding the corner Kevin and Nat both caught a glance of Double D crouching on the ground scribbling something in a blue notebook. He tucked a loose strand of black hair behind his ear as he slumped his head foreword with a frustrated groan.

"Heeey have you talked with the double dork after that 'intense' moment in the closest?" Nat snickered nudging Kevin in the side.
Kevin's growled and smacked his cousin in the shoulder shoving the snickering boy to the side.

"Shut up I'm still pissed at that stupid fuckin dare" Kevin grumbled as they made their way down the hall.

Double D stood from his position on the ground and neatly placed his notebook in his backpack as he awaited for his other two friends.

Double D looked up to see Kevin and Nat walking down the hall.

The beanie wearing boy frowned as he felt his cheeks heat up at the sight of the baseball player and his cousin.

Kevin silently growled to himself at the red faced Double D. He couldn't help the one word that he could really only use to describe the dork.

Cute

"Shithead" Kevin hissed sending another punch to Nat's side causing the green haired boy to groan in pain.

"What was that for?!" He whined.

"Because it's your own fault"