Chapter 6 - Clarion

"I wandered the western side of the uncharted islandfor weeks

"I wandered the western side of the uncharted islandfor weeks. Towering mountains lined the entire eastern border, or at least that'swhat I thought. I decided to scale the mountains and found a lush forest on theother side. The trees bore a variety of fruit, and all manner of wildlife aboundedin the woodland. It was a pleasant place."

- an excerpt from The Thousand Years War, Part I

Cornar skidded across the grass of his country estate and rose to his feet, eyeing Kalder. Kalder speedily approached with his claymore pulled to the side, tip pointed skyward.

Nice, Cornar thought, lunging forward. He swung his weapons but Kalder intercepted both the serrated dagger and the short-sword with the claymore.

They danced about, striking and parrying each other's blows.

"You already started?!" Gregan shouted, agitated.

The red-haired warrior donned his helmet at the edge of the field, but turned back to Kalder just in time to dodge a sweeping swing by rolling sideways. He stole another glance at the plate-covered warrior; Gregan ran, gripping his fanisar horizontally, his dash showing his eagerness to join the sparring match.

Evading another blow, Cornar rebounded, coming close enough to swiftly strike Kalder's belly with the sole of his boot. Kalder tumbled backward, rolling over his shoulder, but Gregan replaced him.

"You're not too old for this!" Gregan shouted, swinging his fanisar at Cornar. Gregan's words were true. Cornar wasn't too old for this... But there was that promise to Karenna.

Cornar ducked beneath Gregan's next attack, twirling his dagger so its smooth edge rested against his forearm. He slid forward, hitting Gregan's armored belly with a forearm strike. But that didn't jar the once–City Watchman. Gregan continued swinging his fanisar while Cornar dodged the blows, striking plate-armored forearms. Soon, Kalder joined the fray. Cornar gracefully evaded both warriors' attacks.

Suddenly, white light zipped past Cornar's head. The light struck Kalder, surging through his armor and spreading across his body. Kalder glowed faintly.

"Magic?!" Cornar blurted. He wanted to look over his shoulder but he didn't dare.

A second later, Gregan was surrounded by a similar white aura.

Both warriors moved at speeds faster than normal. Enhancing magic did that sort of thing. Cornar struggled to defend himself, and something swept out his legs. Was that Gregan? Cornar hadn't seen the kick. But they were moving fast, faster than normal.

The hard ground met Cornar's back, and a sharp rock tried to pierce his chain mail. All the while, something slithered beneath him. That was no kick! The slithering thing was an ensnaring tentacle, wasn't it?

Gregan swiftly lowered his fanisar, but Cornar deflected it away. The fanisar struck the ground near Cornar's head, kicking up dirt that sprayed across his face. Through the dirt, Cornar saw Kalder slashing downward with his sword. The bladed end came crashing down toward his chest, tip near his neck. Cornar tried to block the claymore but was too slow.